Satellite
  • Day 77

    Amsterdam

    June 19, 2017 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Viewers discretion advised.
    Though not nearly as bad as yesterday hahah.

    Gooooood sleep hahahah
    We both had showers and are now doing washing. Unfortunately we are wasting half the day with it. Our washing was an hour and now we are waiting another hour for the dryer -.- I thought it would have been more industrial strength and been quicker like the one at the laundromat :( we will have to do Anne Franks house tomorrow but we will still definitely doing 'body works'
    We ate our soup for brunch and had to get help with the dryer. At first I thought we were retarded but it was the machine not us - 😏

    We took our clothes out early - they were steaming hot, literally. We had to fan each item for a long while. They came out wetter than they went in once the steam turned back to water.
    We have layed them out every where over our section of the room.
    We bought our body works ticket at reception then FINALLY were on our way.
    Our ticket read it's best to visit after 4pm - so it turned out it didn't matter that we wasted half the day doing washing. Woot. We decided to eat first - well Will did. He eats so much more than me. Lol
    His burger was expensive as all hell. He hadn't told me the actual price yet. He said 31€, I lost my shit and now he suddenly can't remember.
    I think to make me less cross he let me look at shirts in a shop we walked ages to find.
    I can't decide if I want a jumper or a shirt.
    And which shirt? There are 3 I love.
    Also cannibus socks as a novelty.
    I also need to buy a hat - but not an Amsterdam one - That seems excessive haha I'll wait for the next city so it says something different.
    We walked in the 30 degree weather to the palace.
    Turns out we had already walked past it serval time but didn't realize because its dirty building that looks like a crappy Gringotts bank.

    Went to body world.
    It was a 6 level exhibition starting from the top.

    body world - the happy project - is an museum that uses real corpses that have been donated, to demonstrate how things affect the body and what happiness can do for your body. It uses layman terms to show a healthy and unhealthy body and how it works.
    The aim is for more happy, healthy bodies.

    The top floor started with the brain and is the organ that freaks me out the most. We understand so little about it and it looks like cat food. How can my whole person be contained in that little pile of rubber mush.
    Hearts freak me out too. It alone decides if we are considered dead or alive.

    Of all 6 levels one of the first displays I found to be the most confronting.
    It was a mans head completely cut in half.
    I wasn't confronted by the gore but because I can see his identity. Someone could recognize him. I can see him as the person he was.
    He was the only exhibit where I thought I was intruding on him.
    The other fleshy muscular ones were less personal but still really cool! We are so intricately designed.
    The blood vessels were great too.
    The museum has displays where you could participate so I rode on a bike where it talked about chemical endorphins when you exercise, a swing set, we took our blood pressure and a digital reader studies our faces to determine our emotions. - both have good blood pressure.
    The reproductive section was interesting too. It had a big sign reminding guests that the models pre consented to their intimate positioning.
    The fetus developments were really sad. I think you can abort up into you are 20 weeks pregnant. The size the baby was at that stage was so clear; It's a person by then.
    What staggered me is when you are presented with facts about how many sperms in a mans ejaculation and the frequency of other things yada yada.
    The chance of my specific sperm and egg to be the ones that meet are just so so so damn small it's amazing and blows my brains off.
    One small insignificant change and I wouldn't be here.
    At the end there were tips from people over 100 on how to have a good life and cards that you got from a small side room with a suggestion on adding happiness to your life such as take a different route to work or cook a recipe you have never tried before. It was great.
    We then went and bought a brownie each and ate it by the canal. We got swooped by this phyco albatross bird thing. It also kept attacking it's reflection on an expensive car haha.
    We then spontaneously went to the prostitution museum which was surprisingly good to the point I'd recommend it.
    Inside was how it was when it was a working place wth all the girls private rooms and sections. It also had up honest facts people have about prostitutes such as how many men a night/week. How much does it cost, can you say No etc etc which was interesting.
    It also had the laws explain in basic terms which was easy to understand.
    The rent of the room is very expensive and they work very hard in the red light districts to ensure people are there by choice and not by force.
    They have interviews and checks to monitor this as best they can.
    It also highlighted the dangers of prostitution and had a memorial for the murdered girls.
    It had a section of items left behind -SOMEONE LEFT THEIR DENTURES HAHAHAH

    All round - an engaging museum.
    We then went to eat Chinese for dinner - we both were thinking our brownies must have been very weak but then after we both had a few spring rolls, it came into effect.
    The oyster sauce on the chicken cashew was so gross.
    I enjoyed the fried rice only because I was craving it snd not because it was very good :( the service was so quick it was almost too quick for comfort.
    Like, are you sure that was enough time to cook my food?
    We were both a little tied so we headed home - an uneventful journey - we have spent the last few hours happily lying down in bed a bit buzzed. I've written in my book journal and done my fb photo upload.
    Our dorm mates just came home - poo.
    I feel I am going to sleep so well.
    Keen for tomorrow! So many more things to do but we are smashing through them pretty well!!
    Again, sorry mum. Hahahahah ❤️😘

    I still can't decide if I want an Amsterdam shirt or jumper.
    Read more