Satellite
  • Day 88

    Aarhus

    June 30, 2017 in Denmark ⋅ 🌧 14 °C

    Shitty sleep.
    The doona was too hot but without it it was too cold.
    We left the house at 9:40.
    The heated tiles in the bathroom this morning were most welcome.
    Big day today.
    Our host man drove us to the station - bless his socks.
    We met Charlotte inside and waited for Karoline and Julie to arrive.
    Conversation was ok, she didn't seem to feel as awkward as me lol.
    It was too far out for Will to go wondering so he joined us this time.
    The other 2 arrived.
    Finding food was even difficult for them and they are from here.
    We walked through to the city center and wandered for what felt like ages. They all got on their phones to try find somewhere but couldn't so we ended up at a place they didn't want to eat at because it was a buffet style.
    I was happy with a buffet again 🤗🤗🤗
    Though it too was shitty 😒
    They made us both try something I can't pronounce.. its Danish and disgusting. It's its some sort of liver. 🤢🤢🤢🤢😷
    I ate yogurt with cous cous which tasted better than expected.
    We chatted for about 2 hours. Conversation flowed well after a while.
    Karoline was most attuned to my uncomfortableness and translated for me when the other girls kept switching back to Danish.
    I like the sound of Danish when they talk though.
    Found out Julie got us the free ferry tickets because she works there 👍🏼
    Charlotte was super chatty which put me at ease. She is so expressive with her eyes when she talks.
    We said bye and then headed to 'Den gamble By' which i suppose is their version of old Sydney town.
    It's like an open air museum except unfortunately today it was raining so I think a lot of the actors were missing.
    It had room displays from 1625 up until the early 1900 of living quarters but also trades and stuff.
    The beds look horrid. Will would have had a terrible time 😂
    The buildings were cute and made it look it's period.
    It had like a crappy (though accurate for it's time period) amusement park section with a wooden bowling alley and tin can toss.
    Some were closed due to rain.
    I still really enjoyed it but I can imagine if being fantastic when all the actors are walking the streets.
    There were horse and carts and they literally have a poop street. This one cobbled street had like 6 dumps on it and nowhere else in the park had any hahaha

    It also had a section from 1970's which had a Little section of shops showing the prices of Tvs and records etc from that time.
    I bought a postcard for 1krone to put in my journal book.

    We then started the stupidly long walk to the deer park.
    I finally found a magnet on the way :)
    It was raining which made it all the more sucky.
    We walked past Aros which they all seem to be very Proud of - everyone has told us to visit - it's just an art museum but it does have a cool rainbow walkway up the top.
    Walk walk walk.
    Along the way there was what is I think, similar to our sculpture by the sea. It has stupid "art" pieces along the shoreline including one truck appearing to be tow/lift out a car from the water.. #artist
    We found what I thought was the park and walked through it. It was very beautiful but we didn't see any deer 🤔🤔🤔
    We did however find the Queens summer home AND the flag was up which means she was home 🤗
    We were in the Marliesborg memorial gardens.
    We asked for help and a lady pointed us in the general direction.
    There were 3 possible green spots on our map the park could be.
    I was getting very flustered and stressed because we were running out of time to find it before it closed. We found another person and they pointed to one of the spots on the map so we started walking towards it but decided to take a possible shortcut LUCKY WE DID BECAUSE WE FOUND IT - nowhere near where she said to go.
    I was joyous, truly joyous.
    We possibly bombarded a wedding to find the gate but i don't care we made it.
    The moment I saw a sign with deer on it... best moment ever.
    We walked in and even without the deer it was such a wonderful place.
    So green and mossy.
    It didn't take long until we found our first deer 😁
    It was a doe with 2 babies. We knew she would be protective of her young so we had to be carful.
    PFFFFFFT worst mother ever she abandoned them for carrots.
    At first she was hesitant so we built up her trust by throwing a few bits at her to make her know we had carrots - once she figured it out all her fear was gone 😂
    She came straight up to us and we fed her about 6 carrots, the fat little shit.
    She ignored her babies the whole time Hahaha
    We tried to leave but she wouldn't have it, she wanted more carrots.
    She alone had eaten half our stash hhaha
    The view of the valley from where we were feeding her was magnificent though, especially watching other deer run down it.
    We went looking for more deer and found one but it was behind a fence. Being the nice people we are we gave it one so it wasn't stressed it missed out hah

    We walked and hit the jackpot - deer everywhere.
    Will fed first they all realized what was happening and went over. They wouldn't leave him alone once he had finished so I came to the rescue 💪🏻
    Heheh it was the best thing ever!! Everyone wanted a carrot. I was wary of the stag but he was friendly too and didn't mind being patted either. His antlers feel so odd.
    That don't feel like i imagined - they almost feel hollow.
    The best way I can think to describe the appearance and texture is a very think flower stem.
    Like, it had very small hairs on it like they do and it was hollow feeling like it too - felt like it would be easy to snap. It's also possible he was just very young.
    He nearly hit me in the face with them but not on purpose... he just wanted more carrots... hahah
    I pet sooo many deer :D
    They were so upset when we were finished but kept coming back to double check.
    They make the funniest whinge sound.
    Will said the sound reminds him of a creaking door or a tree squeaking as it falls over.
    One had like a temper tantrum and literally screamed at us for having no carrots hahahah
    None of them were afraid.
    We didn't go near the trough full of babies though.
    We walked through the park patting deer before they realized we had nothing to feed them and came across wild boar enclosures.
    The babies were cute.
    The adults were ugly cute.
    It was incredible I love love love love loved it! I wish we had more carrots!
    We walked the 4km walk back to the station in the rain -.-
    There were public toilets on the way and we both agree they were the cleanest we have ever seen.
    Walk walk walk.
    We had maccas for dinner because we wanted to use the wifi to figure out how to get home.

    HAHAHAHAH
    McDonald, Burgee king, 711 and the bus stations wifi were all down.........
    So we were essentially stranded for a while.
    I knew we had to get bus number 15 or 35 but couldn't find the bus stop for either.
    We didn't even know our address so we couldn't get a taxi and we couldn't ask for help from our hosts because of the wifi issue ...

    We looked at the bus map and Will was positive 15 and 35 were not he right numbers but I later proved him wrong.. ✌🏼

    We went to the bus station help desk and they were so helpful 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽
    It was an hour wait but we got on a bus! There was an automatic ticket machine on the bus? Weird.
    Will was panicking cause he thought it was going the wrong way but long story short - we got there.
    So very very relieved.
    We both got out of our very wet clothing and had wonderful hot showers. I felt like a drowned rat.
    Just relaxing and have made the decision to visit the deer park again early in the morning before going to lego land :)
    In theory we might squeeze see the bog man but realistically we won't.
    I'd rather play with deer :)
    Was a really productive, sometimes extremely stressful but fun day!

    Other notes.
    There was a goose drinking from a bucket at the old town museum
    Our hosts had fish for dinner so the house stinks
    Read more