Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 129

    Krakow

    August 10, 2017 in Poland ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Woke up and the idiot roommates are gone 🙌🏼
    We got pizza for brunch because that was the agreement if I got Indian last night.
    Went home and waited next to the fan until it was time to meet for our tour bus to Auschwits.
    The wait was nerve racking - there are so many tourist buses driving past I didn't know how we would know which one to get in because none had labels.
    Our bus was early so lucky we were too - our driver got out to get us thankfully.

    It was about an hours drive away and on the way they played a documentary for us to watch. It was dreadful - not really any new pieces of information but it's not something you will ever get use to hearing.

    Got out of the bus and had a 10 min wait before we went through security. Will was happy he wasn't wearing a belt today so he didn't have to take it off for the scanners.

    We were given head phones and outlets.

    When our guide started to speak Will and I made instant eye contact. Her English was TERRIBLE. Well, no so much her English as pronunciation. She was a real bore too but I got over it better than Will. I was happy just to see it with my eyes.

    She took us through the main gate past all the barbed wire and through the famous German sign which translates to "work sets you free"
    The place didn't look as daunting as photos. I think that was because of the massive green tree nearby.

    We walked through the first set of barracks which had pictures blown up and documents about arrest, deaths, and concentration camps in general.

    One display had some of the canisters that were used in the gas chambers.

    The hair room was confronting to say the least. I knew of its existence because Helen told us but to see it is different.
    Mountains and mountains of the victims hair stacked higher than me covering a whole section of room.
    You weren't allowed to take photos in there. Normally ignore such rules, but not here, not this place.

    Next were more rooms with some of the victims items including briefcases, spectacles, pots, cups and a few prayer rugs.

    The next bit showed a display of victims shoes and omg. it's hardly a percent of the victims and yet so many.
    An entire room with a walkway splitting it. MOUNTAINS of them.

    When you look out the windows you can easily visualize the Jews walking up the paths.
    Next was a barracks showing how they lived.
    We were currently in Auschwitz 1 which was the barracks and not the crappy wooden huts you seen in movies.
    This was more tame but still undesirable. First was floor with hay, then sacks then bunk beds.
    As we were walking up the corridors the walls were covered In the victims mug shot - they were wearing the striped uniform.

    In another barracks was were Dr Carl Clauberg did his sterilization experiments.

    The last barracks we went through contained the torture standing cells where 4 people had to stand and sleep then work the next day then return.
    It also had suffocation cells and a starvation cell - the one where Maximilian Kolbe volunteered to die in place of stranger.

    Out the back of this barracks was the death wall where thousands of poles were shot.
    They had areas they had to strip down in beforehand.

    We then walked past gallows where people were hung.

    We then found the fallow where Rudolf Höss was hung - he was the first commander of Auschwitz

    The last bit we saw of Auschwitz 1 was a gas chamber and crematorium.
    The scratch marks on the wall was horrific.
    I could hear their screams.

    They looked like literal ovens.

    Will was really unhappy. He was so disappointed with our guide.

    We then got on the bus and went to Auschwitz- Birkenau. This was what I envision when I think of Auschwitz - the railway track up to the gate and wooden hut upon hut.

    We had the same guide :/

    A lot of the huts were gone but they were represented by a chimney in their place. So many.
    Over 100, 000 lives here at a time and thousands died daily.
    Two thousand every hour was possible.

    We stood on the spot where the selection took place. Healthy people were sent to work and the sick, elderly, pregnant woman etc were sent straight to the chambers.

    We walked around and ended up at "death barrack"
    This is where those selected because they were no longer fit to work waited to be sent to the chambers.
    They waited without food and water and many died before reaching the chambers.
    We went inside and this was what I expected to see on this tour.
    The bunks that you see in movie.
    Spine chilling.

    This whole thing was beyond words.

    Disappointed we didn't see as many things here but a lot has been destroyed in an attempt to hide evidence.

    Everyone caught the bus back in total silence.

    I crashed when home.

    The police are at the hostel and we don't know why.

    It was an issue about selling alcohol. How boring I thought it would be something juicy lol.

    Total wasn't as emotional as I thought. I honestly believe that to be because of our guide. She was a gross disappointment for something I have always wanted to do and see.
    Still, I am so thankful for the opportunity and grateful for the life that I have.

    "Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it"
    - George Santayana
    Read more