Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 156

    Windor

    September 6, 2017 in England ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Good sleep :) good bed :) excellent day :)

    Woke up at 7. Jax was great through the night - well at least he was quite.

    We went to the lobby for our complimentary breakfast. I was quite satisfied with it.
    The bacon looks and smells disgusting so I skipped that.

    We left at about 7:50 and headed to Watford for our Harry Potrer studios tour which was about 35km away. Our tour was for 9:30 but the Bnb host man had made a comment about how difficult it is to get to HP so we left really early..
    Once again our perception on distance, as Australians, is different to everyone else.
    Made it in 30 mins and there was very little traffic.

    We were an hour early but we wasted time in the gift shop - Jess bought some pajamas and a onesie for Jax.
    we were able to enter early so woohoo.

    First is the cupboard under the stairs set before you go into a room which has all the different release of posters from different countries for each book.

    Next was a quick video (that Jaxon yelled through a lot of) from the Daniel, Emma and Rupert saying how they had lived here for 10 years and it's a home away from home ..

    It opened up to the great hall.
    Even though I've been - I love it 😊😍

    We kept walking through the first bit which was mainly sets which had Hagrids hut, the burrow, griffindor common room, potions, dumbledoors office, umbridges office and some ministery fireplaces.
    It also had the horcruxes, the 3 broom types, the chamber of secrets snake door, costumes, the fat lady portrait, info on the animal actors, the black family tapestry and more.

    Next we went through a new section which was opened this year - the forbidden Forrest.
    While it was very cool - the "scary" warning before hand was not necessary. I am a pansy and it was fine haha.
    It had Aragog, buckbeak and showed how they make the patronus.

    Next was the hogwarts express and platform 9 3/4 which is when we started to take more photos.

    We then came out at the cafe and I finally had a chance to sample butterbeer!!!
    Last time I missed out because I didn't realize the cafe in the middle was the only place to get it and once at the final gift shop you can turn back 😭
    Anyway, we got one each - I was the only one to finish it lol.
    It had a sort of honeycomb cream on top but overall wasn't very nice. I don't need to have another one but am glad I got the opportunity to sample it :)

    Outside was the night bus, hogwarts bridge and replica number 4 private drive. In number 4 was a scene with hogwarts letter mail going everywhere.
    There was also some of the chess pieces, hagrids bike and the blue car from the 2nd book.

    Inside the next section was all the effects stuff so like masks a dog animated creatures.

    Up next was a replica dragon alley which in I loveee and then little cardboard set designs finishing up with the most beautiful small (not small) scale hogwarts.
    It is honestly a work of art in its own right.

    I left Harry Potter studios without a single souvenir #proud

    We then drove back to the shopping center we were at yesterday to park the car so we could go to Windsor castle.
    Jess was super impressed. I forgot she hadn't already seen lots of old shit like we have.
    And by old shit I mean that with the utmost respect hahaha

    It was 20£ each and Will actually asked me if I was red a souvenir guidebook?!!!!
    Well der, of course I want one.
    Lol yay for me.

    We went through security checks and scans then we were in.

    Jess kept blabbering how she is glad we came. Haha it was sweet.
    We walked around a bit then entered the viewing bit.

    So roams not allowed but after entering it's understandable - wouldn't want to ruin their impeccable carpet.
    First we saw Queen Mary's doll house which looked so fun to play with!!!! I even think I could reboot my imagination just to have a go.
    It was so big and so many rooms!!
    Next was a few doll costumes the Queen got given as a gift as a child (I think! I didn't read it all properly cause of Jax)
    Next was a china set room which was basically full of things I would never want to use out of fear I'd drop one.

    We then walked though heaps of other room that had weapons, armor, statues, house crests, paintings etc.
    we saw king Henry Vlll armor. My oh my what a gut! Hahah
    The ceilings are why I like most about most of the rooms - exquisite designs and lots of gold and red with an occasional splash of blue.
    No words to really describe it other than Royal and amazingly, beautifully over the top. Lol
    There were just so many rooms and we were only in a small section.

    You couldn't take photos but I tried to get some sneaky ones of the roof lol

    We finished that bit, picked up the pram then Went to the St George's chapel. King Henry Vlll is buried there with relevant people so I found that interesting.
    Lots of Crypt and while it's still very nice - definitely not in the top 5 churches we have been to.
    A few other significant people buried there such as both of the queens parent.

    We left and then found a guard to take pictures with. He deserves a raise we couldn't decide if he was real or not until about 2 meters away.
    Whatever skin lotion he uses....

    We the left and went home for a 4 way nap lol.
    It much needed.

    We then went out for dinner. It was a 20 min drive and we then spend another 20 trying to find it but we did lol

    I'm disappointed how quickly I became full because their dessert looked delicious lol.

    Drove home and now in bed.

    Our first successful day in a while! Lol
    Read more