Satellite
  • Day 169

    Marrakech

    September 19, 2017 in Morocco ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    We woke up at 2am and got in our taxi at 2:30am 😒
    Our driver was an absolute freakin loon. Whenever we have a pre agreed price the driver just tries to get us there as quickly as possible. Today's driver got up to 110 MILES per hour. That is about 175kmph
    Like, what a psycho . Lucky the roads were empty.
    Either way we made it in one piece.
    We paid our 64 pound... and off he sped. The airport was 42 kilometers away from our hotel and we got there in like 20/25 mins when it should have taken 40.

    We had longer to wait because we were so early. The check in counters didn't open until about 3.40am. So many people were sleeping on the floor.
    Checked in no issues.
    Will had to do the big body X-ray thing thing.
    I was having a chuckle at the Muslim lady in front of me.
    She took her shoes off and had the blue plastic shoe covering things ready to go.
    She then got chosen to do the extra security checks.
    Obviously Not her first rodeo.
    How many times do you get picked before you just start always bringing temporary shoes to get through security with 😂😂😂😂😂

    I am really tired.

    We had hungry jacks because lots of things were closed. Didn't want to eat it so I didn't have much. Just enough to keep the hungry sick feeling away.

    We went to or gate and boarded.

    We were 'priority' again so we got to board first. Don't know why we keep having priority tickets - No complaints though.
    We waited next to this chatty weird woman who has never caught a plane before - she didn't know how to find seat and took like 50 photos of the plane.
    We were so pleased we weren't seated next to her.

    I got a nosebleed as people were boarding and of course didn't have tissues so I had to shove a tampon up my nose which was awkward as crap being surrounded my many Moroccan men.
    I eventually got help.

    We both think we slept a little bit on the plane but am so so so happy we woke up just in time for the drama... 🤗

    I heard this thump sound and turn around to see some bloke punching another guy screaming at him. People stood between them while the guy kept SCREAMING

    "THE CUNT BIT MY EAR, HE BIT ME, THE CUNT BIT MY EAR"

    He was going ballistic and trying to keep punching him.

    The other guy was like a sloth and took so many hits to the face.

    Ok so backstory is the guy that bit him and got punched bought vodka in duty free and drank half the bottle. The bottle has already been confiscated by this point and Will had overheard the worker say she was going to report him because he had been swearing at her and was off his face.

    So yeah, he then bit someone's ear and the guy gave him what he had coming.

    The dude who got bit was all hyped on adrenaline and causing such a scene that the captain was very close to doing an emergency stop in Portugal. He was warning everyone to sit down. The whole plane was so frustrated that the scene was going on for so long

    It was a bit like yes, I know he bit you but you are the one that is going to cause 200 people problems if we have to land this plane because you are losing your mind.
    People had to make a barrier between them to escort the drunk guy up the front to sit away from him. He looked so dazed.

    The captain was full dead set serious though. I thought we were gonna do an emergency landing.

    So many people were trying to keep the peace.
    It was intense but so juicy all the same.

    When we finally arrived in Morocco we didn't go straight to the terminal port thing - instead the plane stayed in the middle out in the open. We stayed there for 10 minutes and everyone was so annoying trying to get their bags. The captain told everyone several times to sit down and put their belt back on.

    I don't understand how the hell people hadn't cottoned on to what was happening. They were waiting for the Police.
    The 2 men got escorted off and we were then allowed to leave.

    It took ages to get through customs. Will was surprised by the Moroccans appearance. He was expecting black. I was not, they looked exactly how I though - Arab.
    We found out driver and he drove us to our hostel. Lucky I pre organized cause no chance would have we been able to find it. It's up a few back alleys.

    First impressions of hostel are great.
    They gave us breakfast which was fan-freaking-tastic!
    Best breakfast in ages!!
    I think we get it everyday so pretty stoked about that.

    I got given my first bottom bunk - or rather I had the opportunity to chose it yayayay
    We both got a bottom :D

    We dumped our stuff and went for a walk to the markets.
    Hooly dooly! you could get lost for days in there!
    Shop after shop after shop of silks, ceramic plates, clothes, lights, statues, jewelry, gold everything, wools, spices, nuts and more!

    Everyone is so damn nice!
    We ended up in some carpet place that also had like Arabian guns and swords and the carpets are wonderful - very reasonably priced but still too much for us.
    We then ended up in a food section and a nice man asked us where we were from - we said Australia and he said "ahh kangaroo" he then sent us in the right direction. We had the exact same convo 10 seconds later about the damn kangaroos. People always sound so proud that they know about kangaroos.

    Anyway, the second dude then took it upon himself to become our tour guide lol.

    He took us first too a wool weaving dude and then another man took us into his shop to show us his lume*.
    Our "guide" had waited for us and then took us to a silk section and handed us over to another man. He showed us all the natural dyes they use to stain the scarfs.
    He showed us his dad staining the wool and silk.
    He then dressed us in headscarfs and took our photo.
    He wanted us to buy but we awkwardly said no which he didn't like but oh well.

    On went our tour 😂

    He took us to a spice shop.
    The dude in there knew that as Australians we couldn't buy his stuff so considering there wasn't even a possibility of a sale he was extra lovely.
    We smelt 3 spices unique to morocco and others that he said are used elsewhere.
    He rubbed musk soap stuff on us for us to smell and explained that you can't wear perfume in a mosque because it has alcohol in it so they use this for smell instead.
    He talked about Moroccan oil which he put on my arm. He said it shouldn't be in the sun so the people outside selling it have a crappy product and that it should always be yellow and not orange.

    Because he was great and so informative ( and because I wanted one.. ) I took advantage of the cheap massage option also advertised in his shop.
    It cost 2 euro. Winning.
    I had to take my shirt off though (because he needed to reach my shoulders for the oil) which was very risqué considering my location but Will stayed in the room with me and he put up a curtain.
    Bra stayed on just for clarification. Lol
    I sat on a chair and he rubbed my shoulders.
    Mum would have loved it, he showed me no mercy! So painful but so good lol!

    We went outside and our guide was missing so we quickly walked off because our next and final shop was going to be his families shop and even though he promised we didn't have to buy like 5 times, once there he might had been less chill.
    Still, if he had been waiting I would have been happy to follow. He was really nice and said he just wanted to speak with us because his brother is studying in London and he likes to talk in English.
    It was a good free guide and I actually learnt a lot because of it.
    We then saw sunlight for the first time in an hour and followed it out into a market square - we found a cage with tortoises in it and then another with a Chameleon which, when the store owner saw me looking he got out and handed it to me.
    It has a strong grip! So cute! It's eyes are crazy!
    This guys shop was also spices and showed me similar stuff but also some like pure eucalyptus oil that after one sniff cleared the sinuses!!
    We walked on and finally found the correct exit.

    In the open area section - which is huge btw - were some monkeys on leads and snake charmers.
    I'm trying to settle my feelings about the monkeys because they didn't appear mistreated or stressed.
    I didn't like people posing for photos.
    Anyway,
    Some dick wanted to give me a henna tattoo I said no but he went to try anyway and squirted the ink all over my hand which has stained and basically looks like I have shat myself. I wiped it off on his coat though 😎

    We had a drink in a resturant where people kept approaching us to sell us things.

    There is a big orange juice market here.

    We went home and had a five hour "nap" hahahahaha

    We went out for dinner to a place just up the street which was great, walked around a bit but the went back to chill at the Hostel.

    We ended up having a terrific night!
    We made friends with everyone at the hostel because it's sort of set up so you have to talk.
    The 2 men workers we have met are really friendly and made us all mint tea which I had so much of I got the shakes hahah
    I'll be peeing all night - toilet not on our floor though so thats a pain.

    Our group of 10 included 3 Germans, 1 English speaking Canadian and 2 French speaking ones and the 2 workers who came and went.
    We talked about the differences in countries and just about everything really.
    I really enjoyed myself.

    In bed now and shockingly, I need to pee.

    Hey, look at that! A proper diary entry. Woo.
    Read more