Satellite
  • Day 173

    Excursion

    September 23, 2017 in Morocco ⋅ 🌙 27 °C

    6am start. The hostel was pitch black. We were told we could have an early breakfast but as Abdo (other worker) was asleep on the couch that seemed unlikely lol.
    Vivienne was coming on the excursion with us so she gave us a banana which I was thankful for so my tummy wasn't empty.

    Got picked up at 7:20 (they were late) then got in a big spacious bus - I was so happy until we got kicked out and put on the most ridiculous vehicle.
    I am not a tall person and there was not enough space for my knees to make a right angle. I spent 4 hours in total discomfort because the dude next to me was overweight and then had not leg room so he had to open his legs up meaning my spine was twisted the while journey with half my body off the seat dangling in the aisle.
    Whatever we made it - we had 2 photo ops on the journey too where I got out and complained to my hearts content.

    So yeah first stop was Ait Ben Haddou. It's a fortified village along the former caravan route between the Sahara and Marrakech.
    It was really really cool.
    Our guide was terrible at English so I didn't pick up on much info other than a lot of movies have been filmed there and they are so so so proud of it.
    Some include Gladiator, the mummy, Lawrence of Arabia, Indiana Jones and Game of Thrones - the list is quite long though!
    We walked up the village to reach the top and look out at the hectic view - one house had a pool and it looked sooo good. It was about 38 degrees I think today but no shade available so it was a scorcher.
    We saw lots of donkeys working hard.
    I wish I could say more about it but I didn't learn much. Even my google research isn't very helpful.
    Cool to look at though.

    We next went to Ouarzazate which was totally unnecessary. It's like the film studio part I think and about 20 mins away from stop 1.
    We stopped in for lunch and it cost us 30€!!!! 😱😱😱 what a joke! We were so cross and I wasn't quiet about it. Our entire group was like what the hell.
    We didn't even eat anything really.
    There was a cat who came and sat with me though so that was great.

    I'm not as itchy today but Will is still struggling because he developed blister ones. Having self control issues over not popping them haha

    We went walking to the medina except it was empty so i don't understand.
    I can't accurately say anything about this part of the trip other than we went to a rug store and saw the chiefs house only I don't think he lives there???
    I really don't know... lol

    I couldn't stand sitting in the same spot for the 4.5 hours back without having a major tantrum so I asked if I could swap with the dude next to me's wife. She agreed 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 yay window seat - I had somewhere to put my legs and it was great.
    I liked looking out the window until I couldn't take anymore and crashed for a bit.
    Such a longhgggh ride and day.
    Not worth it to be honest. The first place was nice but not worth the pain ! Lol

    We had dinner and now are relaxing in bed.
    Only one more night in flea beds 🤗
    Read more