Satellite
  • Day 194

    Roadtrip

    October 14, 2017 in Romania ⋅ ☀️ 9 °C

    Good sleep.
    Woke at 9:30 for the free breakfast. People had already smashed the Bread and jams but we got some cereal :)
    We packed and left.

    We really should have gone to the city centre to see cluj but the photos weren't very enticing - it would have been a 4km round trip and we just couldn't be bothered lol.

    In the car currently 1.5 hrs in to the 4.5hr drive.
    It's not a very scenic route so far. Very flat and boring.
    We did stop at a petrol station to fill up and got bacon flavored chips which were awesome hahah

    They have so many roundabouts like England it's so stupid - especially the ones on the highways!!!!

    Haven't seen any prostitutes today - yesterday we saw maybe 10 all up standing on the side of the roads.
    We were lucky enough to see a car drive past and actually pick one of the girls up 😂

    Nothing really exciting happened until we finally started to drive down transfagarasan road. A very famous route.
    Top gear did an episode on this road - it was ordered to be built by the dictator dude so that military personnel could cross the mountains quickly if there was an invasion. The official death toll is forty but apparently hundreds died building it from many reasons but 1 being untrained in how to use dynamite.

    The autumn leaves were just incredible. Such strong Red, orange yellow and greens. Even a few purples.
    The road is ridiculous and can only be done at like 30-40km max an hour because of the bends. Some are practically U - turns.
    Near the beginning we pulled over and had some sandwiches for lunch. Wills peanut butter to bread ratio is ludicrous.

    We started at the bottom of the mountain and around halfway had the most wonderful view of the rest of the mountain we still had to climb covered in snow. We got out at a few designated photo spots to try take photo only the phones couldn't properly capture it and the sun was in a crappy place.

    There was suppose to be a fabulous waterfall - we found it but it was nothing special - definitely not worthy of a dot on the map.

    Will threw a snowball at me the dick lol.
    And so began the cliff climb.

    We got a reasonable way up before IDIOTS blocked our path. It took an hour to get 100m even with 2 police helpers because everyone doesn't care about others and just park on the road to go take photos. People kept trying to overtake and headbutting into other cars - it was just disastrous . Will was fuming. I have never seen such disorganization on a road. At first we thought the hold up was because someone had gone of the cliff or something because the queue was so long. Nope, just people being wankers.

    Finally got through the carnage and got back into the beautiful mountains but now going down.

    We drove and drove and finally found our hotel - we are about 1/4 of the way through the road and will finish it tomorrow.

    Our hotel is an expensive $75 for the night but there was no other option. Sneaky buggers.
    Our room is fine.
    We had a 3 hour nap then went to the resturant for dinner. It was shit lol.

    Back in the room and now back to bed 😁😁😁
    Read more