Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 195

    Roadtrip

    October 15, 2017 in Romania ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    We got to sleep in because our hotel didn't include free breakfast so we had no motivation to get up haha

    Left just before checkout and got back on to the Transfagarasan highway.
    The leaves had turned much more noticeably orange in one day.
    Ahhhh so pretty.
    We drove past a huge lake but the trees blocked our view. I always feel guilty that I can look but Will can't so I almost subconsciously only allow myself to see what he can.
    We made it to the Poenari castle - Vlad the impalers real castle unlike the Bran castle.
    It's just ruins now but it was 1480 steps to reach the top.
    That didn't include the 100 steps before the start line either.
    Ohhh the buuuurrrrrn.
    There I was thinking we were making excellent progress and well over halfway when suddenly we reached the 1/3 notification sign 😳😳😳😳 oh man.

    I did better than Will. still, was putting on bit of a brave face to prove a point 😝😝 hahahaha I definitely struggled!
    There was only 2 benches the whole climb up which I think is a bit silly considering how many people do it of all walks of life. Some of the oldies were so sweaty!

    Made it to the top and it cost 5.80 lei each. Bit annoyed because i purposely tried to find info about cost last night and there was no indication of a fee.
    Lucky Will had his wallet. I would have lost my shit if we climbed all that way to be denied entry!
    Not jealous of the ticket guy who has to climb the stairs every day to get to work..

    Got in - more stairs... and then found 2 mummies on spikes. Such a gruesome way to go... 😓😓😓😓
    The castle was only small and mainly just some walls left but the view was awesome! Took some pictures then headed back down.
    I think we arrived at a good time because truck load of people were now on the paths.
    And when we reached the bottom no more car spots were available.

    We kept driving and turned off the pretty road and started to drive through villages again.
    Damn horse and carts always blocking the road.

    We were so hungry as it was about 2pm by now and still hadn't eaten anything so we stopped at a street corner store for nibbles.

    Drive drive drive. So many doggies. They seem to know when to cross the street though.

    Drive drive drive - finally made it to our hotel.

    The front gate was closed we were like uhhhh???
    Made some noise and finally a dude came out to get us.
    I told him we had a reservation and he looked so confused
    " we are closed today"
    HAHAHAHAH of course they are...
    no matter though! He let us stay woohoo!

    He couldn't take card though so we went out to have a proper breakfast/lunch/dinner and get money out.

    After 4 ATM's not working lucky ATM number 5 gave us money 🙌🏼

    We went back and grabbed our stuff from the car because we have to get up early tomorrow to get to the airport.

    We think we might have found a workaway in Slovakia on the snowfields - still in the early stages of questions but looks great if it works out.
    We will see what they say.

    We have just chilled and enjoyed having internet because the last few places have been crap.
    Caught up on the news and watched some videos :)

    Turkey tomorrow :)
    Read more