Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 198

    Gallipoli

    October 18, 2017 in Turkey ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    The bus came to get us at 6:30/7. We picked up a few more people from places before we headed to Gallipoli. I was so tired I fell asleep quickly. We had a pit stop where we had "breakfast" which meant a packet of chips/gozleme because we didn't stay long enough to order anything substantial. I then slept on the second leg of the trip too woo! It took about 5 hours to get there.
    Before our tours we first had lunch. Lentil soup, a meat combo then a piece of fruit.
    Andddd off we went!

    Our guide was great - very clear English and he repeated things many times in different ways to make sure he was understood.
    Our first stop was brightmans bay - where the ANZACS were suppose to land. He took us to a map and went over both sides strategies pointing out differences places, advantages/disadvantages, landing sights, troop placements etc. he explained to us why Turkey had chosen the German side - essentially England didn't give them back 2 of there war ships which upset them then Germany approached with a good offer. He explained the German - Hungarian - Austrian placement and how Russia had asked the allies for help which is why Turkey was attacked - it has a direct route to Russia if penetrated.

    He made sure we took in the type of terrain at brightmans bays so we could compare to Anzac cove. He gave us 15 mins to walk around. The water looked flawless.

    We went up the road only maybe 1km to Anzac cove and the difference in terrain was astronomical. It was now Cliffs and hills.
    It was a smaller area than I invisoned.
    He told us all about the landing and how the first Anzacs got maybe 1km up but then Turkish re-enforcements arrived and pushed us back. We never got further than we did on the first night. We equaled it one other time but never beat it.

    Next we went to where they hold the Gallipoli memorial. Here was the only truce ever called when 3000 dead Turkish soldiers had been laying out on the fields for 5 days. A blinded Turkish solider came and negotiated a temporary truce so they could all clear and bury the bodies.

    There is a rock face near by soldiers called the spynx because it reminded them of Egypt which is where they did their training. I could see the resemblance.

    We then went to the Ari Burnu cemetery.

    We then got out to look at a statue of a Turkish soldier carrying an Anzac to get him help.
    Not real enemies - both sides where just following orders.

    Next was lone pine cemetery. It has its name because only one tree grew there. Amazingly enough a solider sent a pine cone from the tree home in 1915. In 1990 a seed was used from the same cone to grow a new tree at lone pine which I think is really special. A sort of relative tree. It's not in the centre where a representative tree already stands but off to the side near the entrance.

    Gee Golly Wiz it was so hot! We found shade and heard about the battle at lone pine. It was basically a blood bath. Many many many many soldiers died between 6-9 August 1915.

    The youngest Australian solider was a boy called James Martin - he was only 14. He doesn't have a grave but his name on the wall. Location unknown.

    The graves were simple and some had lovely words - others plain. I must say one was in the stupidest position I nearly fell over it. I don't know why it was there - my first photo upload - I was just walking along reading names then BAM a grave.
    Most of the messages on the graves where religious.
    We had 20 minutes here.

    We then went to Johnstons Jolly which is Anzac and Turkish trenches very close to each other. The whole situation was pointless and had very little action. The soldiers on both sides use to talk and poke fun at the other - even swap food/cigarettes by throwing it over. Johnston was apparently the lead Kiwi who lead the area and was into the joking.

    We then went to the main Turkish cemetery which is where we ran into a lot of school children.
    No Turks are actually buried there - they are in a mass grave near by. The cemetery is for regiment 57 out of respect because they were not commanded to fight but to die and showed great courage. Their commander was Mustafa Kemal who became the founder and first president modern day Turkey. In 1915 it was still the Ottoman Empire.

    We then went to the Nek - the cemetery is under renervation but we were still able to hear what happened there.
    Four waves of 150 Anzac men were stopped dead by the turks. We suffered nearly 400 deaths in an hour.
    We saw more trenches that still had Barbed wire attachments.

    As we were driving higher the views were stunning over the water.

    We then went to the main New Zealand memorial and to be honest if I was kiwi I'd feel ripped off. No names just a concrete slab with a massive statue of Mustafa Kemal and 15 Turkish flags.
    I didn't like it.

    This was the furthest point the Anzacs ever got.

    I had a lot of information thrown at me today and it was a challenge connecting all the dots but I think our guide did a great job doing that.

    Our group was 7 Aussies and 1 Kiwi.

    We then Drove back to our tours office and we had 30 mins before our bus left to go back to Istanbul so we had time to check out a little open air display nearby.
    I actually really liked it. The first one was statues in trenches shooting at each other and the other was a map of turkey that you walked around to better understand the positioning of everything.

    We then sat out side and I made 3 dog friends.
    I finally asked why the chips in their ears mean. It means they are stray but they have been looked after so vaccination and desexed. Macedonia did a similar thing.
    1 dog had a clip and 2 didn't. One of the poor babies was so skinny. He was so happy and energetic trying to play with the other dogs but his ribs were so obvious.
    I only had chocolate so I couldn't feed him :(

    Back on the bus now. We changed buses so it's bigger and we get 2 seats each. I've had a good solid nap.
    1 more hour until we should be back In Istanbul.

    Arrived back safely. Keen for bed - a long but fantastic day!
    Read more