Satellite
  • Day 208

    Zagreb

    October 28, 2017 in Croatia ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    Ok so this hostel is ridiculous. We are sleeping on top of a night club. the music was like drilling through the walls. Also Will doesn't fit the bed so his sleep was super..
    We decided to skip the post office and do it in another city and instead do the free walking tour the hostel puts on.
    But first, food. I had the most delicious cheese pastry things. Like a banitza but more of a pie 🤤🤤🤤🤤

    The tour started from the hostel. Our guide was a complete loon 😂 quirky isn't the right word but oh man was he quirky. He does what I do and gets really loud and makes loud noises and sounds when awkward.
    He took us on a journey for sure.

    First stop was the lift that takes you up the stairs we walked up yesterday. It's in the Guinness book of records apparently for shortest lift.
    Croatians all view it with fondness because it's what you do as a child so everyone has nice memories with their parents. And I assume that's true. We saw so many families use it.

    Next stop was the top of the stairs to explain why Zagreb is the capital - it had a big wall and a moat so everyone moved there. Pretty simple really.
    There is also a cannon at the top that goes off everyday at noon.
    The story that goes with it is a long one about a painted cow and a chicken being shot out of cannon which scared the energy away because it made it look like they had plentiful amounts of food when they didn't.
    The cannon saved the city and at that time the city was united but at war with each other too. Too stay separate the 2 areas operated on a different time zone. This was changed when the cannon started being used 150 years ago.
    We heard it go off.

    Next museum of broken relationships which we have already been to but he explained that the original concept was created to show the "violent divorce" of Yugoslavia. And it just continued on.

    Next St. marks church which has really really cool ceramic roof tiles. There was also a red square in the centre of the square where public executions took place.
    Parliament was next door and not impressive at all. The word I would use is maybe cute? It's like a fancy house.

    There money is named after a weasel type animal that the were highly sought after for fur. It's even represented on one of the crests on the roof.

    Next was an old pharmacy
    Next a high school. He made me laugh here... he goes however long ago it was a high school. As you can tell by the weeners on the wall... it is still a high school.
    So many penis drawings 😂

    Then onto the city gates which is a pilgrim sight for good luck.
    If you get what you asked for you put up a tile - it seems to work a lot - lots of tiles there!

    Next a well. The well goes into a secret tunnel system.

    We then walked though a nice park until we reached the only open tunnels for the public - this was sso very serious AWSOME.

    Basically the plan was when they got attacked everyone was to go into the tunnels and up to the fortress. It never happens though.

    Anyway, the museum was free and cool.
    It was like a time line. Pictures and pictures of time and then it had side sections we didn't enter - one had a film and one had music

    BUT THE COOLEST BIT EVER WAS

    To remember WW2 where 2 million died they though instead of an exhibition with lots of bodies ...

    THEY MADE IT RAIN.

    We entered and all had to grab an umbrella and walk 30 meters through rain. It was so cool and an awesome way to do it I think. It was pitch black except for one light. The sound echoed.

    So impressed.
    It was fun tbh.

    We came out at the farmers market.

    Then we went to a cathedral. He talked about its construction and how it's always under construction because of the original stone used was crap and has stone cancer. There were display pieces explaining what the means and the difference it makes to the appearance.
    It's a lovely church but not worth the 1000 years of constant rebuilding lol.

    We saw other bits and pieces along the way but overall it was a good tour.
    He was so awkward though. He said he was gonna tell a joke and then say it and it wouldn't be funny nor a joke.
    A very odd man. His name was Ivan.

    We then went for our own little walk around.
    We sat outside some impressive building talking for ages and me pointing out every dog that walked past 😂😅
    We then went and had dinner, got money out and went to the hostel.
    Will got a beer and we sat outside.
    People joined us and we chatted for a bit. One dude was a knob and ignored my existence.

    An Asian girl in our room brushed her teeth for 15 minutes straight. No word of a lie. It was ridiculous.
    I don't even think she put toothpaste on... but I sat there staring and timing here 😂 it could have been longer. Will made me leave the room after 15 mins.
    IT WAS SO BIZARE.

    Croatia isn't cheap at all.
    I booked Bosnia accommodation today - also not super cheap.

    I really like Zagreb. For a capital city it is so so lovely! I just think it's so spacious, clean and still old.
    Big tick from me.

    In bed now and keen for tomorrow. Hopefully it's not too cold.
    Read more