Satellite
  • Day 216

    Mostar

    November 5, 2017 in Bosnia and Herzegovina ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    Good start to the morning..
    washing wasn't dry so I had to use the hair dryer and dry them for 20 minutes before I then bumped my head on a window 😂 we used the juice as an ice pack because a small egg started 👍🏼

    Tarik is our Bnb host but he has a cold so his girlfriend took us on tour today - her name is Arna.

    Our first stop was Blagaj.

    I don't think this stop was necessary but still enjoyed it.
    It was an old house thingo where - from what I understand the Muslim version of traveling monks come.
    We went inside this building- I had to put a head scarf on and Will had to put on a skirt cause he was in shorts + take our shoes off.
    Veryyy basic. All floors were covered in rugs.
    There is also 2 tombs. 1 of them possibly contains the bodt of the dude who is seen as the person who brought Islam to Europe I think.
    He made a plan before he died - there are 7 different coffins with "his body in it" and they got sent out to the places that wanted him. No one knows who got the real body.

    The water here was really clear and people come just to film their water bottles up from this sacred water source.

    They haven't ever explored the caves - they tried in 2004 but one man died so they stopped.

    It's more of a nice place to have lunch more than anythjnh.
    The traveling museums people - the ones who wear white, the hats and spin.. they still come.
    The place was abandoned during the Yugoslav communist era but is coming back to life.

    Next we went to Medugorje. It's a pilrgirm sight where 6 children claim that The Virgin Mary appeared to them in 1981. Since then over 30 million people have come to the spot and many have reported supernatural things.
    Our host was Muslim so she didn't come and went to have a coffee - the walk up the hill was intense - she gave us an hour which I thought was extreme but turns out that was an appropriate allowance lol. The rocks were so jaggered you had to really concentrate where you were stepping! For sure people have rolled and broken their ankles here.

    It turns out we went the wrong/long way around but we finally found the Mary statue. She was surrounded by a fence - many people had left flowers. It was so quite everyone was in prayer. We sat in some flattened rocks and stayed a while. I prayed.
    One lady couldn't walk and got carried up the hill on a stretcher. That was cool to see. It made it seem like such a sought out place and privilege to be there wether we believe or not.
    I'm not sure on my thoughts about it.
    It's not a no from me but I'm not sure either.

    We walked back down the hill of potential death and got baxk in the car and headed to Kravica waterfalls.

    THE SUN WAS SMACK BANG IN THE MIDDLE OF MY EYE SIGHT AGAIN.

    The water falls were lovely. It would be wonderful to go swimming there in summer.
    We didn't stay too long because of the sun position and there was nothing really to do once we had been there 15 minutes.

    Next up was Pocitelj which Will really enjoyed. It's an old fortress village - first written record from 1444. We liked it because once you had bothered climbing the stairs you could walk around for free and actually interact with the building. The view from the top was fabulous too! We were really close to the Croatian border.
    I like Ottoman style buildings. It's cosy and warm looking lol.
    No specific special person lived here but still an awesome building.

    Pomegranate juice is big here and our host Arna was surprised to bear Will doesn't like it lol.

    She drove us back. The tour was 27€ each which is expensive but once you consider how much driving she did and we saw 4 things it was definitely worth it.

    My kitty was waiting so she got some food 🙊🙊

    We booked Montenegro 👌🏻

    Off to the capital tomorrow! Yay more hostels ... 😅😅
    Read more