Satellite
  • Day 251

    Pompeii

    December 10, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    This place is such a hole. As we were walking our 9kms to Pompeii we couldn't help notice the uncanny resemblance to Africa. It's just so gross here. It's dirty and ugly.
    Not a single footpath on our walk either so we were dodging traffic the whole time.
    Bleh.
    We got to see Mt Vesuvius again. This time not in a moving car so much cooler. I like that the top is flat.

    Having unreasonable anxiety that it's going to erupt while I'm here 😅

    We walked through shit farms and then I heard this puppy crying/screaming and I looked over and a man was handling it.
    He put it in a pen I think.
    Will said that he was being nice and patting it but I think he was lying.
    I have never wanted to shoot someone more.
    He didn't hurt the dog then but the dog was terrified...
    makes me shudder.

    We have walked past the same dead dog the last 3 nights now. It's just in some abandoned property. Someone probably hit it and chucked it over the fence.
    This place is so depressing.

    More farms, more concrete blocks - still no sign of what id consider civilization..

    Made it to Pompeii station.
    Which is right next to Pompeii entrance.
    Now, I had been previously led to believe that there wasnt much left. A few streets and that Pompeii had different museums to go to. I thought it had sections rebuilt. Kind of like how all the other cities are thriving but randomly have remains in them.
    I was very wrong. It's like one, gigantic open air museum. entrance fee was 13€ which was more than reasonable.

    Once we walked in we decided it was going to be to hard to navigate so we went in a building to get a map. Im happy we did because it had 3 of the plaster cast people and an awesome video + voice recording + 3D city displace that lit up when certain sections were being talked about.

    We found the forum and basilica. It's all important but I learnt a lot about the forum in school so that was exciting for me.
    We walked and walked and walked. It literally is an entire town. Soooo many buildings and ruins.
    We found more plaster casts. The man praying/crying and the dog affect me far more than the others.
    We walked In and out of so many buildings. I couldn't believe the access we had. Some idiots had carved there names in places 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ but why?!

    Some of the temples and bath houses still had parts of mosaics and frescoes. It was have been beautiful.
    I remember that bathing was a major topic of learning in school.
    The city was so organised. Stuff being poor but if I was rich I could have lived here lol.
    The houses were lovely. You could easily envision people walking around the courtyards and taking their baths.
    Toileting wasn't a private affair either so there were some latrines.

    We both tripped a good 10 times each. The path was so uneven.

    There were 2 stray dogs chasing another stray dog and the other dog was so frightened I yelled at the first 2 to leave it alone. Lol they left. They came back but the scared dog had managed to get into a hiding hole.

    They had educational bins. 3 sections
    E.g. Metals section had info on metalwork and trade In Ancient Pompeii lol

    We then found the theatre which you could go an sit in. Across from it was were the gladiators trained. It use to be something else but then there was an earthquake and it changed purposes.
    The theatre obviously held tragic and comical plays.

    A few displays of pots and things on our walk.

    The rich people's houses were so nice. Very open planned living lol.

    Then on to the gladiator stadium. This too we could enter and walk on the arena floor. A lot of the seating had been grown over with grass.
    It was so awesome to imagine the gladiators.

    We walked back towards the exit because it was getting gloomy.

    It was so hard finding the damn exit lol.

    We walked to the taxi stop because I could not deal with walking through the streets in the dark.

    It took ages for a taxi to come but thankfully it came.

    Fuck me. It cost FORTY EURO.

    WHAT.

    I had map loaded so I know he went the quickest way but the meter was ridiculous it went like this

    8.33
    8.43
    8.53
    9.76

    Ermmmmmmm???????

    Whatever we got home.

    I was shattered and had another nap hahah
    I'm getting so good at this.

    We went for another damn pizza again because the supermarket was shut.

    We watched the new pirates movie and now in bed.
    Read more