Satellite
  • Day 309

    Transit

    February 6, 2018 in France ⋅ 🌫 0 °C

    What a day lol.

    Didn't sleep a wink.
    As the alarm rang at 5:30 I wanted to have a little cry haha but I soldiered on like a trooper.
    We left the house at 5:50 and walked to Lapa train station. All downhill this time yewwwww.
    The lighting was actually really good so it wasn't as scary as it could have been lol.
    At the station the 1st ticket machine wouldn't take our card - had to cross the tracks to the other one after attempt 4 also failed.
    Our train came at 6:22 and it was about a 30 minute train to the airport or as they call it aeroPORTO HAHAhh classic pun.
    My sleep deprived self found this very amusing.
    We had to stand the whole way because the train was surprisingly full considering the abandoned streets.
    Check in was open when we arrived.
    As previously stated at nearly every passport check I was asked today "is this you?"
    Of course it bloody is and even if it wasnt, like I would say no.

    Anxiety everytime it's examined.

    I got pulled over for a drug/explosives swab at security. Not having good luck with this.
    They swabbed my mobile too which I though was clever.

    I had some shitty pasta for breakfast. Total garbage but at least something was in my tummy :)

    We were priority again - we think it must be because we have checked in luggage but straight through we went. We then waited for 20 minutes outside which was dumb cause it was freezing.
    It was because the flight attendants weren't even on the plane yet......... might wanna check that next time.

    Oh oh but before we got on the plane I went to the loo and there was an add for sexy toilet paper.... is that really the best choice or words?

    Ryanair has this funny symbol on its safety info and I still don't know what it is. It looks as if it's saying dont bring your earrings in an emergency landing. ??

    Landing was a bit intense. It was one of those everybody claps landing because it was sooooo Icey! The whole place was just white.
    Got out of the plane and it was freeeeezing. Some disabled person was leading the line so we all were snailing along in the snow to try and get indoors.

    Bought out shuttle bus tickets - excellent signage well done airport! Lol
    An expensive 34€ but to be fair it's like a 75km journey lol.
    It takes another 1.5hours.
    Got a snippet of sleep on the bus (none on plane)

    When we arrived then began the adventure.
    We got on our first metro.

    Well, Not before we bought tickets and I wasted one and had to buy another.....
    I have become so accustomed to automated machines I put my ticket through and the door didn't open so I tried it again but then the ticket became invalid.
    I HAD TO PUSH HAHAHAHAH
    My bad and super embarrassing.

    So first metro was easy until we got to our stop and the little audio announcement said line 4 is not running from this station.
    But but but we need line 4 😓😓😓
    We didn't really know what to do but made a split decision to get off the train.

    Found a sign. Under maintenance. Only the stop we need of course....
    We had to leave the station and walk through the blizzard up to the next station along.

    Thankfully they were running from here.
    But because we left a station we had to buy tickets again... 😪

    Finding our platform was a joke. Will was cracking the shits big time.
    I asked a shop keeper for help.
    Silly us, we have to exit the station to find our platform 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️
    I asked if our tickets would work because I would have been so mad if they didn't cause they had already been used.
    Thankfully they did. Took metro to hostel. At least our hostel was close then.

    The weather was so bad we couldn't go back outside. We arrived at 4pm anyway so sunset was soon.
    we were starving so we went next door to the pub for food.
    Then went upstairs and napped.

    We had put our name down for the hostel dinner for 5€ each and it was great value.
    We got a salad, pasta, garlic bread and a drink.
    We were seated with such strange people though.
    I was bonding with my eyes with the Canadian opposite me because whenever the guy next to me or the guy next to him spoke it was always so odd.
    And our eyes said to each other 'yep, you heard that too' hhaha
    The one next to me had mannerisms like mr bean. The man next to him was maybe 60 with rotten teeth.
    We didn't want to talk but the guy next to me insisted on it and crapped on about everything.
    He wacked his head at one point because he was telling a story about how he lost his passport. This was the moment I identified mr bean in him.
    We escaped and went back upstairs.
    I fell asleep at 8 and pretty much slept the whole way through woohoo!!
    Read more