Satellite
  • Day 13

    Everest base camp

    September 16, 2019 in Nepal ⋅ ☁️ 0 °C

    So at 3:30am when I got up to get ready for Kala Pattar I call it quits.
    I felt horrendous. I felt so woozy and I just couldn’t. Not if we then had to immediately go to base camp.
    Helen, Tom, George and Anita went.
    Will, Lucy and I stayed behind.

    They got back around 8 and said they enjoyed it but it was the hardest thing they had ever done.
    They said they saw views but the pictures they showed us suggest otherwise.

    We all had breakfast together and planned to leave for base camp pretty much straight after only..
    OUR YAKS WERE MISSING 😂

    Such a caffuffel. It took hours for our guides to organise but we eventually found porters to carry our bags to base camp. I was very relieved cause there had been talk that we simply might not be able to sleep there and only visit.

    We ate lunch and left around 12:30.
    It took about 3 hours to get there. It was probably my favourite walk because we were finally going to our goal.
    The walk was just rocks and stones and finally some snow capped views.
    We had lots of fasty fasty moments due to dangerous areas with potential rock slides.
    We took such a long and indirect route. The path changes ever season as the landscapes moves and changes.

    When we finally made it my eyes burned. I was so proud of us for making it and in disbelief.

    We got photos with the famous rock with the height even though it’s incorrect by 1 meter.
    The ice field is beautiful. I love thinking that the core is millions of years old. Very cool.
    We were on a big glacier - it was cool in sections to see under the rock and grit ice and or little stream.

    When we first arrived the sherpas were putting up our tents and toilet tent (essentially a chamber pot with a plastic bag to catch everything. Cute)

    Everyone was having their own minor photo shoots lol.
    We also got hot drinks which were appreciated.
    It started to snow to we all went into our tents and set up.
    Blowing up the air mattress was hard work. Had to take it slow. Hard to breath up there.
    The guides are beyond amazing, they worked in the snow and did like 5 separate rounds.
    First we got popcorn and soup broth.
    Second we got our oxygen checked
    Third we got hot drinks
    Fourth we got Dal Baht. (Rice, lentils, potatoes etc)
    Fifth we got boiling water for our bottles and hot water bottles.

    The snow was fierce!
    We both needed to pee. It took us like 10 minutes to get out of the tent, moving is hard.
    On the way bag in I snagged the zipper on the outside of the tent and neither of us could fix it..
    We still had the inner layer zip but still.. Will was no happy lol.

    I bought a liner for Will to use in our Aussie sleeping bag. But for his own reasons refused.
    I was fine cause I hired mine so it was a better quality but at one point I had to wake Will is cause he was shaking in his sleep. Quite frightening actually.
    He then got over his mood about me braking the tent and we snuggled for warmth.
    I needed to pee again but refused to leave the tent again.
    Read more