Satellite
  • Day 22

    Stonehenge, Castle Combe and Bath

    September 10, 2017 in England ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    It was freezing walking around Stonehenge today, but luckily the rain held off. I am in awe of the extent of Stonehenge and how much is still unearthed. Throughout the countryside you can see the raised mounds of earth, barrows, they believe these to be where people were buried.
    We drove onto Castle Combe, a quaint village just outside of Chippenham. The beautiful village which looks and feels like it has been trapped in time has had a number of movies and series filmed there. The movies Stardust and War Horse are recent movies as well as the latest series of Downton Abbey.
    Next it was onto Bath, where I did an audio tour of the Roman Baths. The baths were started to be built around 60 - 70AD and were completed over the next 300 years. Various parts were changed throughout the centuries. I was amazed how much was on display of the old ruins and how you were still able to walk through the areas on the same cobblestones that Ancient Romans walked on. We also walked up to King's Circus, which was designed by John Wood, he believed Bath had been the principal centre of Druid activity in Britain so used Stonehenge's dimensions (318 feet) for The Circus' diameter. Divided into three segments of equal length, the Circus is a circular space surrounded by large townhouses. The Royal Crescent overlooks Bath and is a row of 30 terraced houses laid out in a sweeping crescent, these are of similar style to the Circus and were designed by John Wood's son.
    We then drove down the highway to Wellington Travelodge.
    Read more