Satellite
  • Day 7

    Turkey (Gallipoli Peninsula)

    October 13, 2017 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    We drove 4 hours from Istanbul to Gallipoli today. We stopped for lunch just outside Eceabat, a small town overlooking the Dardanelles Strait, before heading to Gallipoli.
    Approximately 75% of our group were in full WWI Light Horse ceremonial dress, as we had a number of wreath laying ceremonies scheduled with the Australian Consulate Military Attache & Turkish Officials. We visited ANZAC Cove, Shrapnel Valley & Hell Spit before laying wreathes at Lone Pine; Turkish 57th Memorial Park; The Nek; & Chunuk Bair.
    The work done by the Turkish Government to preserve & maintain the National Park, monuments & the Gallipoli Peninsula in general, is nothing short of incredible. Everywhere we went, the Turkish people welcomed us with open arms & wanted to shake our hands & take photos with us.
    It was a very moving day, & the trip back to Eceabat, where we caught a ferry to Canakkale, allowed us to reflect on what those brave young men went through in order to secure our freedom.
    Interestingly, there was a great display that we explored at Eceabat, on the waterfront - it has a life size model of the trenches, as well as a 3D walkthrough map of the Gallipoli Peninsula which gave a really good birds eye view of the battleground & region. Well worth a visit if you are in the region.
    We spent the night in Cannakale (Iris Hotel) in preparation for exploring the region further tomorrow.
    Read more