Satellite
  • Day 12

    In the end of India

    December 8, 2017 in India ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    After 4 hours the train finally arrived to Kanyakumari station. The southern end of India. After arriving, nice pink railways station welcomes you, sweet.
    But no time for relax, dark is coming and it's time to find accommodation. Well I can't remember how many times I said: I'll be back in 5, just check the next one. But in the end I had cheap accommodation with sea view!
    And hurry up to the city, sunset is waiting. I have to admit, they're really prepared for tourists (but I met only Indian ones! Only 4 other white people) signs are everywhere, so in a minute I was on huge tower observing beautiful sunset over sea.
    The city is famous by couple of statues.
    1) Gandhi memorial - "appropriately placed at the end of the nation". The central stone was used to store some Mahatma's ashes. When I visited this place it was early in the morning so guy in counter was sleeping. The place is really nice, without yelling people it has its own atmosphere.
    2) Kumari Amman temple. I don't have really good experience with this one. Inside it was just running, pushed by the others and just paying 10Rs here 10 here, Dharsana here, here and I was out so fast. Next time I have to try to stop a crowd but it was in the end of the day and I was without power to defend myself.
    3) Vivekananda memorial and Thiruvalluvar statue (Indian Statue of Liberty).. two islands connected to ground by ferry. In my case the second one was closed but at least memorial was open. According to information, this is a place where Swami Vivekananda meditated for couple of days. For me the journey by ferry was also really funny. The view over many indians wearing a life jacket inside a boat (check the redhead guy on the picture - perfect match!)
    The second day I walked to the village closed by. The whole area is famous by fishes and there should be a huge market. Sadly thanks to cyclone whole area is closed. I think one of the few occasions when is possible to see clean ocean. But that also means the fish market is closed. All the fisherman are sitting on the shore and just playing games, lying, bored by free time.
    Afternoon it was raining and I have to come clean I was in bed for two hours just doing nothing! Well, why not!
    I had only one more task to manage bus ticket from Kochi to Mysuru. Since it's not possible to pay online by credit card I had to go to travel agency. Well I spent there "only" one hour. But it was quite fun. They were smiling, still asking some questions and telling me 5minutes 5minutes. In the end the old guy (probably father) began with yelling to young one (son?). And I have to tell you, arguing in Malajlam it's just hilarious. But in the end I have a ticket so "Thumbs up".
    Well that's all from this small city. One day for it it's enough but worth it.
    And 26 hours journey to Mysuru can begin! Last funny thing were Christmas songs on the train station! The Christmas time!
    Read more