Satellite
  • Day 17

    Playa del Carmen

    December 31, 2018 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Last morning in Havana and we were all SO sad to leave. It’s been the most amazing and perfect part of the trip and nobody was ready for that to end.

    We decided to forgo the very atmospheric - but so, so bland buffet breakfast at the hotel in favor of an alfresco brekkie near the square we stumbled on yesterday.

    Today was magnificent- slightly cooler than yesterday but with a clear blue sky and no humidity.

    Breakfast was simple- eggs, bacon, coffee, juice. But we loved being outside in the middle of the street, listening to live music in the sunshine.

    All too soon it was time to go to the airport - Cancun bound.

    It was a very bumpy descent and upon landing we quickly discovered why- it was pouring with rain. Still warm, but a thick grey cloud covered the coastal city and we hurried to our transport getting soaked on the way.

    Playa del Carmen is about a half hour drive from Cancun and it was difficult to see much. But the Grand Hyatt was beautiful - a very new resort which has been magnificently fitted out. We are all in one very spacious room with 2 queen beds. We took a quick look around in the dark and could see everything being prepared for tomorrow night’s New Year’s Eve party.

    By 7.30 - having reconnected with the world through social media and phone calls, we were hungry. (After all lunch was a packet of Pringles and a Toblerone)...

    We headed to the main strip - 5th Ave and found it teeming with life - big chain stores jostled for attention next to souvenir shops and tex-mex cuisine alongside Italian versus steakhouses.

    Before we had time to choose, the heavens opened again and we ducked inside a nearby Texas BBQ restaurant. Everyone was happy- nachos, tacos and a Texas bbq burger. Huge American-sized portions with a Mexican influence.

    And then suddenly everyone was exhausted. We went for a short stroll along the avenue before heading back for the last sleep of 2018.
    Read more