Satellite
  • Day 53

    Green Island & Pub Lunch

    October 11, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    This morning Mum and I went to Green Island for the day. It’s a tiny sand island with a resort on it and a few shops and restaurants designed to feel like a little village in the rainforest.

    We walked around for a while and then sat in the shade to wait for our glass bottom boat tour. On the boat we saw a variety of coral and quite a few coloured fish and large trevally. We also saw giant clams and a couple of giant turtles bobbing their tiny heads up and down in the crystal clear sea.

    We ate lunch by the pool and then I collected my snorkel and fins and headed to the little beach near the pier to snorkel, while Mum read her book in the shade. The water was warm and inviting and as soon as I’d managed to get on the flippers I enjoyed swimming and looking out for fish.

    The waters around the island are so clear and shallow for quite a long way out that it makes viewing the fish and coral easy.

    At 4.30pm we took the boat back to Cairns and Gadi picked us up at the boat terminal. We picked up a few supplies at the supermarket and headed back to our caravan park where we learnt that the boys had headed into town to eat lunch a pub and then he’d dropped our son back and gone for a drive to the Northern Beaches.

    We made an easy dinner of barbecued chicken (thanks Woollies!), roast pumpkin and eggplant on the Weber and a big salad.

    Now we’ve all had a chance to get out on the water and enjoy the Great Barrier Reef in all its glory!

    Night night from FNQ xx
    Read more