Satellite
  • Day 72

    Time to Revisit Airlie Beach

    October 30, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    We headed off about 9.30am this morning and drove all the way almost to Proserpine, inland of Airlie Beach, to check out a coffee plantation we visited on our last trip here, three years ago. We had enjoyed a coffee and cake sitting outside the cafe, but the highlight of the trip was meeting resident cockatoo, Boss who terrorized the staff, but took a liking to Gadi and climbed up his leg to cuddle and nuzzle against him. We found sadly that the buildings had been decimated 18 months ago in cyclone Debbie, and the site manager said they were hopefully on track in the reconstruction to open in the next month.

    Next we stopped in Proserpine to fill fuel, only to find the whole area had a power outage. Luckily we had just enough fuel to get to Airlie Beach, where we refueled before heading to our caravan park. We set up and chilled out for a bit, and Gadi had a swim before we ate lunch and headed in to town. We admired the incredible view as we came in over the hill and around the corner to our first view of the bay, with its insanely blue-green water dotted with sailing boats and framed by tree-covered mountains and endless islands.

    We walked around, checking out the Main Street and the lagoon on the foreshore, where unfortunately an international traveler and his little boy drowned on Sunday.

    We bought ice cream and felt it was just too hot to walk around too much. We got back in the car and explored a little more around the other side of Airlie Beach, all the way around to Shute Harbour. We drove up amongst some stunning homes to get a great a great view over the gorgeous blue water and many islands dotted with boats anchored everywhere.

    We came back to the caravan park and I enjoyed a swim in the large tropical pool although I did wish the water was a little cooler. Around sunset we went to the nearby Abel Point Marina to watch the changing colours in the mountain behind the boats. We ate dinner at one of the bars in town and Cadbury stayed in the car.

    Bak at the caravan park it’s now time to chill (literally!) in our air conditioned little home on wheels.

    Night night from the Whitsunday Coast xx
    Read more