Satellite
  • Day 103

    Exploring Seal Rocks, Forster-Tuncurry

    November 30, 2018 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 19 °C

    We decided to leave the caravan in the free camp, next to the river, allowing us to explore without towing. We drove through the Myall Lakes National Park (we camped there many years ago), between some gorgeous lakes, stopping to stretch our legs at Smith’s Lake before reaching Seal Rocks, a very pretty curved beach with a rocky outcrop on one side. We continued on the steep, narrow road all the way to the lighthouse.

    Next we drove to Forster and ate lunch sitting on a park bench overlooking the glorious white sand (and huge sand dune) and turquoise water of One Mile Beach. Then we drove around the other side of the beach to a lookout over the rocks to the huge expanse of ocean. We were able to climb to the top of the sand dune and were rewarded with a spectacular view over the ocean and beautiful white sand.

    We headed over the long bridge to Forster’s twin town, Tuncurry, checking out the marina and the break water where they have netted off an area of the lake as a safe swimming area for children.

    Then we drove back to our little park by the river - it seemed a faster drive this afternoon via the freeway than it did going through the National park earlier.

    We bought a cold bottle of Pinot Grigio in town and enjoyed a glass with some of our Kingaroy peanuts sitting in the last rays of the afternoon sun on the bank of the river.

    Cooked a quick dinner of Moroccan lamb rump steaks with potatoes and asparagus and then chatted to a family just beginning an eight week trip down the coast. We got to see a pretty sunset and stood outside chatting until it got dark.

    Time to head indoors and say goodnight from Bulahdelah xx
    Read more