Satellite
  • Day 108

    White Sand, Another Grey Day

    December 5, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Today dawned grey and drizzling again, which isn’t great as today we want to visit the Jervis Bay area - beaches and coves and national parks - well we can’t actually go into the national parks because of the dog.

    We decided to head off anyway and just hope the rain holds off. We drove inland first along the Princes Highway to Nowra and it’s twin town of Bomaderry and then headed to Huskisson, one of the towns in Jervis Bay. We checked out the beaches there, which looked really pretty, but no wow factor without the sunshine.

    We continued driving to Vincentia, a larger town and checked out some of the more isolated beaches. In the bay we could see a large navy ship, probably from the nearby naval base at HMAS Creswell. We ate lunch at a picnic ground nearby and then drove to Hyams Beach, supposedly the jewel in the crown at Jervis Bay. Legend has it that the local general store used to have a sign up saying “Australia’s whitest sand” and the slogan got picked up by media outlets and it became known as the whitest beach in Australia with the softest sand. These days Whitehaven in Queensland is often cited as the whitest sand, but it doesn’t really matter as we are spoiled for choice with beautiful beaches in Australia. Personally I think you’d be hard pressed finding better beaches than those in Esperance, south east WA.

    We walked out to the busy Hyams Beach and the sand certainly was white and soft. A small creek ran out close to the ocean on one side and beyond that the water was a gorgeous turquoise colour. The only thing missing was the sun shining making the beach sparkle.

    Never mind. After our time on the beach we decided to head back to our caravan, stopping in Vincentia first to shop at Aldi before returning.

    Back in Shoalhaven Heads we visited the small but cute botanical gardens before heading home. Time to chill and sit outside (and finish off the last of my oysters) and drink some Pinot Grigio while looking through the maps planning out the next couple of days, until it was almost dark. We are enjoying having daylight savings again after being deprived in Queensland.

    Cooking satay chicken using the homemade sauce I bought at The Treat Factory yesterday - hope it’s good!

    Night night xx
    Read more