Satellite
  • Day 115

    A Stop in Eden & on to Cann River

    December 12, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    Time to leave the south coast of NSW this morning. We headed off about 10.30am, with a moody grey sky above. We drove through the gorgeous south coast farmland, with its green rolling hills dotted with grazing cows. We passed through cheese country in Bodalla, as well as the stunning green waters surrounding Narooma and the historic village of Central Tilba (my favourite little historic village).

    We know this area so well, having travelled here many times over the years, and my family used to holiday around here often when I was growing up.

    We stopped several times along the way as Cadbury seemed to have a tummy ache. We ate lunch near a river where there were oyster farms and an oyster processing plant. So I bought a dozen freshly shucked oysters to eat later.

    We stopped in Eden at ARV Caravans, as they are dealers for our Concept Caravan and we were looking to replace a part. We also stopped at the lookout over Twofold Bay and the lighthouse. We’ve been here many times, but it’s always lovely to see.

    We headed off mid afternoon, wary of the bad weather we could see was waiting for us in Victoria. This would dictate how far we go today, where we stop tonight and also whether we need to stay put (if the severity of the storms is as bad as it looks like being) for a couple of nights.

    We crossed the border into Victoria between towns. This border crossing is not particularly amazing - just a small sign welcoming you to Victoria. We checked out the free (donation) camp at Genoa (we’ve stayed here before) but decided to keep pushing on as the weather was fine and it was still early.

    We drove as far as Cann River, where the old caravan park has been turned into a free camp. We carefully worked out were to park in anticipation that the weather could turn nasty. We made sure we weren’t under any large trees, not in a muddy or dusty area that could become flooded and settled down in a grassy area towards the back of the park. There were quite a few people camping - a mix of caravanners, back packers in vans, station wagons or 4X4 with roof top tents.

    Immediately we arrived we found some problems with both the car and caravan. Earlier Gadi had accidentally turned too tight a circle, meaning the caravan actually slightly hit the draw bar. We think this may have caused the car to report a DSC Fault, which may have caused some other issues including disabling cruise control and the second battery charging our waeco fridge in the back of the car. Also, weirdly, there was no power to the caravan.

    Gadi spent some time trying to work out what the issues were and tried to fix them. Meanwhile, I sat outside in the weak sunshine and enjoyed my oysters with a squeeze of lemon and a cold cider.

    Not sure if much was fixed, but eventually we got around to cooking dinner - pan fried crispy salmon, asparagus and boiled new potatoes and sat outside to enjoy a camper’s dinner...this could be our last for a while!

    Night night from the east coast of Victoria. We are really close to home now xx
    Read more