Satellite
  • Day 10

    Glasgow to the Glorious Lake District

    May 26, 2019 in England ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    Today is day 5 of the trip and our first stop was Gretna Green. Gretna Green is a parish in the southern county of Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland, and is situated on the Scottish side of the borders of Scotland and England. This small Scottish village has become synonymous with romance and runaway lovers. The short visit was masked by grey skies and light showers.
    Our next stop was to visit the grave of William Wordsworth in the picturesque stone built village of Grasmere.
    Grasmere is a beautiful village in the centre of the English Lake District. The village takes its name from the adjacent lake and has had associations with the Lake Poets, one of whom, William Wordsworth, lived in Grasmere for 14 years and called it as "the loveliest spot that man hath ever found." It truly was very beautiful.
    The usual 4 suspects, Betty, Vicky, Tracy and myself enjoyed a hearty bowl of soup for lunch at a local eatery before spending some time doing what all women love to do.... shop!!!
    Our last stop for the day and our overnight destination was still within the Lakes District at Windermere. Our optional tour this afternoon was a relaxing cruise on Lake Windermere, the lake offered magnificent views of secluded bays wooded islands and amazing homes. Once we had reached the southern end of the lake we disembarked for nostalgic ride in a steam train along the banks of the river Leven to Haverthwaite Station.
    The group enjoyed dinner and drinks at MacDonald Old England Hotel before all turning in for another night.
    Read more