Satellite
  • Day 11

    Lakes District to Cardiff, Wales

    May 27, 2019 in Wales ⋅ 🌬 16 °C

    Day 6
    Today was an epic 416km drive from Windermere to Cardiff, Wales.
    Our first stop was ancient Ludlow, said to be one of England’s most attractive towns.
    Ludlow is a market town in Shropshire, England, 28 miles south of Shrewsbury and 23 miles north of Hereford. Ludlow is the largest town in South Shropshire.
    The town of Ludlow is surrounded by around 500 listed buildings or heritage buildings all contributing to Ludlow’s unique character.
    We visited a local market which took place at Castle Square. There was a mix of brick brac and farmers market selling exquisite local produce.
    Lunch, a ham baguette and a pint of ale was had at the local Rose and crown before we were back on the bus heading south for Wales.
    We arrived in southern Wales around 4pm and headed to Cardiff for our tour of Cardiff Castle.
    The castle was started by the Romans some 2000 years ago, a refurbishment was done in the 1800s and it can only be described as outrageous to opulent, bogus to possibly brilliant. Architect William Burgess was said to have smoked his opium pipe too much and that is truly obvious as you walked through. The building has influences that include Arab and Islamic art, Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales and even Aesop’s fables. It was certainly the most colourful castle I have ever been too!
    The Main Street outside the castle was closed as The Spice Girls are in town.... pleasure to thousands of screaming teens. I don’t think we have been to a town yet that hasn’t diverted our coach for a host of reasons. So...we all enjoyed the short walk from the castle to our Hotel, The Clayton.
    Tonight we are heading out to a Welsh dinner at the Millennium Centre. Were entertainment will be Welsh singers, enchanting music and Welsh stories.
    Read more