Satellite
  • Day 34

    Lyon 2

    July 1, 2017 in France ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Another spot of shopping to fill Pat's panniers and we were off sightseeing on a 2 hour guided walk around Vieux Lyon, the oldest part of town. Lyon was founded in 43BC by the Romans and there is plenty of evidence to prove it, including two adjoining amphitheatres on the Fourviere hill - the oldest part of town.
    Lyon became a leading publishing city in the 15th century, as well as becoming involved in the finance industry and the beautiful old gothic and renaissance buildings built by its wealthy merchants over many centuries have been preserved and are now a UNESCO world heritage site.
    The silk workers built passageways between their workshops, warehouses and shops, for convenience and to protect the silk from the weather. These were called Traboules. During the Second World War, they were used by the resistance. Lyon suffered badly at the hands of Klaus Barbie, 'The Butcher of Lyon'.
    The Funicular lifts you from riverside to the Basilique Notre Dame du Fourviére. It is a beautiful confection inside and the terrace outside has commanding views of the city.
    Returning to Centre Ville, we found ourselves in the middle of a Multicultural festival in Place Bellecour. Pat was particularly intrigued by an impromptu Madagascan dancer who seemed to be able to move all sorts of body parts independently of the other matching part.
    Dinner at a 'pub' in Place Carnot, home to the Statue De La Republique, near Perrache Station.
    Read more