Satellite
  • Day 35

    Lyon to Zermatt

    July 2, 2017 in Switzerland ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Spent most of the day taking 3 trains -Lyon to Geneve, Geneve to Visp, and Visp to Zermatt which is a cog railway. On the stretch from Martigny to Visp we could see from the trees that there was a howling westerly wind blowing. We plan to ride back that way, but if that wind is still blowing we will be on the train!
    Arrived at Zermatt, around 5pm. The crowded streets were unbelievable, especially the large groups of Asian tourists. Our Hotel Garni,Tannenhof, is central and comfy.
    Walking around town, we absorbed the thought - the word on the street was that the Matt was visible - that now was the time to head up to the terrace at the top end of town. The Matterhorn was in full sun! And there it was, looking magnificent. Apparently, it is often shrouded in cloud.
    We still needed to replace a few things that were stolen, most urgently a small reasonably packable backpack. Zermatt has lots of very expensive outdoor shops, but we found one with a very suitable Salomon Trail 10 in the sale basket for half price.
    Minestrone soup at Hotel Monte Rosa for dinner rounded out the evening.
    Read more