Satellite
  • Day 40

    Saint Gervais les Bains to Doussard

    July 7, 2017 in France ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    We got an early start from the gite, leaving the fee inside the hosts "prive" door, so as not to wake them. The traffic had not yet reached its full peak, when we turned right off the main road a few kms of steepish climbing later, in St Gervais Les Bains. After 10-12 km of constant climbing and steadily worsening traffic, it was a relief to roll into stylish Megeve, with its extensive morning markets just starting to kick off.
    We had coffee and cake in a lovely corner watching the market activity.
    The traffic wasn't too bad after Megeve, and Tracey made it up the 10% climb on the bypass without strangling me at the top. There was a long steep descent to negotiate, but, fortunately, most of it was newly surfaced.
    Lunch in Ugine from the Boulangerie and eaten pique-nique style beside the gloriously smooth, gloriously fIat, gloriously traffic-free and shady CYCLE PATH. The path led all the way to Doussard.
    We met our friends, Karen and Eric, in the campervan in Doussard and camped next to the lake - a great evening of swimming, catching up, eating and drinking ensued.
    60km, 810m climbing.
    Read more