Satellite
  • Day 37

    Svolvær

    June 27, 2019 in Norway ⋅ ⛅ 7 °C

    Today we traveled from Munich, in the middle of a Europe-wide heatwave, to the Lofoten archipelago, part of Norway, above the Arctic Circle, and no heatwave here. In fact about 7 degrees below normal temperatures, with daily maximums of 9 to 11.
    Two flights, changing in Oslo, to get from Munich to Narvik (Evenes) airport, landing a bit late at 6:15pm. We then had a two hour wait for the bus to Svolvær. We had researched the bus connection online, discovering that it leaves the airport at 8:20pm, takes about 2.5 hours to get to Svolvær, that you cannot book tickets, and that it is a very scenic trip.
    During our two hour wait the small airport (similar to Albury but not as modern) emptied of passengers and staff. No-one else was waiting for our bus. It was cold and windy, and we were getting worried when we finally saw a bus making its way towards us five or ten minutes after the scheduled time.
    The bus was almost empty, which allowed us to move from one side to the other as the amazingly beautiful and dramatic scenery passed by.
    Arriving at Svolvær about 11pm we were pleased to see the hotel we had booked was in sought of and a very short walk from the bus stop.
    All photos taken through the bus window. Second post follows with more photos.
    Read more