Satellite
  • Day 12

    Scenic Highway 12

    June 28, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Winding drive between Capitol Reef and Bryce, through Dixie National Forest. Tom drove through the worst of the zig zags. Lots of fir, pines, and aspen. Funny to see cows grazing along the roads. R had fun mooing at them! Looks a lot like driving the East side of Highway 2 in Washington.

    Stopped at the Anasazi Museum in Boulder. It is a lovely little museum, with fantastic pottery and arrowheads. All was good until I was looking at pottery in the gift shop. I didn't get a precarious one positioned just right...I'm now the sorry owner of $475 worth of broken pottery. Fortunately, it broke in two large pieces and my parents know a place that does repairs. Good lesson for my kids about being careful in shops!!

    Stopped at several vistas, after a while, "Mom, please stop! We've been looking ay rocks since the Grand Canyon!" Fed the boys when they started acting grumpy. Short stop at "Hole in the Wall" Historic Center - mid-point of the Mormon journey to settle Bluff. Learned a few interesting tidbits, but the guys had more fun goofing with ants.

    Went to the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument Visitor Center. Good video about the 2M diverse acres and a Utahceretops fossile sketelon. The kids earned Junior Scientist badges. First thunder claps as we left.

    Arrived in Cannonville too late to go to their Visitor Center. Rounding the bend toward Bryce, we encountered our first hoodoos!

    Found our campsite and had just set up when the rain started falling. Washed out our plans to go to Bryce for sunset and astronomy program, which was disappointing. Two bummer events today!! :-/

    Relaxed, had pasta & meatballs for dinner, and the kids worked on their Night Sky Junior Ranger books instead.
    Read more