Satellite
  • Day 71

    Devil's Tower National Park, Wyoming

    August 5, 2016 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    Wyoming has SO MANY DEER. We crossed the boarder and the deer just poured out of the woodwork. At first, we wondered if they were giant deer farms, because there was just no way so many deer could possibly exist in one place without being bred. But apparently, there was a way, because there were quite literally thousands of deer, just frolicking around.

    Apart from seeing an ungodly amount of deer, 4 deer attempting to commit car-assisted suicide, and a brief incident where we backtracked 10 miles to go to a gas station when we realized there wasn't another gas station for 200 miles, we made it to Devil's Tower right at sunset without much incident.

    Devil's Tower is awesome, in the truest sense of the word. It's a giant mountain of hardened lava tubes that used to be the plug to a volcano. All of the boulders at the bottom of the mountain are parts of lava tubes that crumbled away. It's beautiful and intimidating and you really, REALLY want to climb it.

    Last point of interest- on the way from Devil's Tower to our hotel in Gillette, we were already going under the crazy speed limit of 80mph because of the many deer that continued to jump out in front of our car. So we're on the highway almost at the city, we go over a small hill, and two giant, mammoth, Godzilla sized bucks with horns the size of our SUV bumper are standing in the middle of the highway, trying their best to murder us. We think it was a rear guard for the rest of the deer. You know- "don't let the people leave and tell others that we're here!" Thanks to Eric's excellent driving skills, we threaded through the deer, and lived to tell the tale.
    Read more