Satellite
  • Day 61

    Carlsbad

    February 28, 2015 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    When I arrived in Carlsbad yesterday I took the vehicle to the Toyota dealership as it was due for maintenance. Everything checked out okay. I'm staying at the Hampton Inn for 2 nights as I'm unable to check in to my next timeshare until March 1st.

    Although rain was in the forecast and it was cool enough that I needed to wear a jacket for the first time, I ventured to San Diego by the Coaster train. A seniors return ticket was $5.50 so it was a far better deal than driving there. I messed up on the train schedule and got to the train platform just as the train was arriving. I didn't have time to purchase my ticket so I just hopped on the train hoping no one would be checking..... and of course I got caught!! The conductor was very understanding and trusted that I would pay for a return ticket in San Diego. No one even checked my ticket on the return trip.

    Because of the weekend train schedule, I only had 3 hours to see the city as I didn't want to return after dark. I went to the Farmers Market that was several blocks long and saw the highlights of the city. I spent most of my time on the harbour front and unfortunately did not get to see Gaslamp Quarter, the historic section of the city. I did see Little Italy (a small area of Italian restaurants and shops); USS Midway aircraft carrier (now a naval aviation museum); and the San Diego-Coronado Bay Bridge.
    Read more