Satellite
  • Day 35

    Ali'i Kula Lavender Farm

    April 7, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    There were more unique flowers and flowering trees than there was lavender, so it must have been off-season. There was no information provided except for signage on the different types of lavender. The other flowers were unmarked. Dad labelled the little critter a chameleon, so we'll have to believe him.

    Our afternoon plan was to drive to Black Rock Beach in West Maui so that I could do some snorkelling and then have fish tacos at an oceanfront restaurant in a touristy mall area called Whaler's Village. The drive down the mountain was quick. Then as we headed West we encountered the worst traffic congestion that quickly reminded us why we disliked Maui (at least this part of the island). This last coastal stretch of 30 km took us l l/2 hours of stop-start frustrating driving. By the time we paid for parking and made it to the beach we decided there was no time for snorkelling. So I quickly took one photo and we headed to the restaurant....only to find there was a 45 minute wait time and it was only 4:30! Since John had a 10:30 pm flight to catch we decided it was best to just head back to Kihei as the traffic was unpredictable while John is so predictable about wanting to get to the airport super early. It only took us an hour to get back so we joined the other condo owners briefly at their happy hour as they've been very welcoming to us. Sadly, it wasn't the best "last day in Maui" but c'est la vie.

    John arrived at the airport 3 l/2 hours early and the only anxiety-provoking incident was that I had to reshuffle some of the luggage contents to his backpack as it was 5 pounds overweight. A quick hug and he was relieved to be on his way home.
    Read more