Satellite
  • Day 36

    Final Day in Paradise

    April 8, 2017 in Canada ⋅ 🌧 7 °C

    When I returned home from the airport last night I found a gecko scooting around the mirrored closet door in the bedroom about 4 feet from the bed. I'm convinced he was waiting for John to leave. I know they are friendly critters who love a bug diet but I still didn't sleep well and had a long day ahead of me. I had to check out by 10 am and my flight home wasn't until 10:30 pm.

    My first stop was at a favourite beach walk....the Wailea Beach Path. This public path passes 5 idyllic beaches and several upscale resorts. The luxurious resorts were busy with people lounging by the infinity pools enjoying their mai tais and pupus (appetizers). I allowed myself a brief twinge of envy. At room rates starting at $600 per night I wondered how they could afford it, or was the expense just added to their credit card debt. I walked about 2 km and then realized I had overdone it as the temperature had soared to 31 and there was no trade wind or shade. Feeling faint, I headed back to the nearest resort and cooled down by using their beach shower. I considered going snorkelling as there were a lot of snorkelers in the water and I could see honu (green sea turtles). Disappointedly, I remembered that I had sent my gear home with John. So I went for a drive and then ended my day at an air conditioned mall for the temperature relief as I had no room in my luggage for purchases! After returning the rental car I reorganized all my belongings. Just as I was closing the luggage, a huge cockroach approached me! That was my first encounter with the dreaded bug and I made damn sure I didn't take home any hitchhikers!

    The airport was chaotic but I was upgraded to a preferred seat with more leg room and was ready for the overnight flight.
    Read more