Satellite
  • Day 42

    Island Tour - Day 1.2

    February 10, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Marco showed us a rustic bull ring that is used in the summer months. No fancy capes or professional matadors here, just crazy people antagonizing the bulls and then trying to avoid getting butted by them. It is hilarious to watch the videos, especially with the running of the bulls down the main streets, but I can’t help but think it’s very abusive of the bulls. Marco tried to agitate the bulls in the field but they didn’t respond thankfully because he said they can tear right through the volcanic stone fence that pens them in!

    We stopped at Furnas do Enxofre to see the steaming sulfur-smelling fumaroles, proof that this is a volcanic island. There was very little steam though. After this we went to the Gruta do Algar do Carvao, a natural cavity in the earth that is more vertical than the usual cave. We went down steps to 100 metres (300 feet) below the surface. The stalagmites weren’t very impressive because it is a relatively young cave. All I could think of was that I preferred we not have an earthquake while we were down there!

    Since the weather was still cooperating Marco decided to head to the coastline. We stopped at a small vineyard in Biscoitos and had a tour and free tasting of a dessert wine. It was a nice break.
    Read more