Satellite
  • Day 49

    Travel Day - Terceira to Sao Miguel

    February 17, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Marc provided the taxi service for our 11:20 flight. It is a small airport with even smaller airplanes that you board on the tarmac. The 80 seat flight was full and there is no preassigned seating but we had no problem sitting together since we had arrived so early. It was a quick 30 minute flight south of Terceira. Got a taxi for €10, the only option, and within 10 minutes we were at our new place, Solmar Gardens, in a very upscale neighbourhood similar to Wellington Crescent.

    Our modern, one bedroom apartment was gorgeous and it had central heating! As a bonus we also had internet and a TV with English channels! It is about 1000 sq ft. The manager explained that they owned the house and created an apartment for his son and wife but then they decided they didn’t want to live so close to the parents. Kids!! They sold the home to an agency who further divided the large house into more apartments. The manager, Carlos, lives on one side of the house. It was at one time an American consulate. I couldn’t believe that I only paid €60 (about $95) a night when it would normally rent for €150 during the summer.

    Things kind of went downhill from here. By late afternoon, after a 2 hour nap, I realized I was really sick having had experience with pneumonia in the past. I didn’t want this to get that bad so we made the 20 minute uphill trek to the hospital emergency room. I think I was given preferential treatment as a tourist because I got to see the doctor and pay my bill all within 1 1/2 hours, despite an almost full waiting room. My temperature was 38 and I was diagnosed with upper bronchitis. I was given a prescription for an antibiotic that could be filled at the Farmacia in the large shopping mall 2 blocks away. The cost of the consultation was €118 and the antibiotics were €9. I’m thankful for travel health insurance which we haven’t had to claim since Garrett at age 16 sprained his wrist at Giant’s Ridge during his first snowboarding experience!

    It has not been a good beginning of our 6 day stay in this part of the Azores!
    Read more