Satellite
  • Day 70

    Travel Day - Carvoeiro to Evora

    March 10, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ 🌧 14 °C

    Because of logistics, once again we had to rely on a private transfer from our Carvoeiro resort to the bus station in Albufeira, 35 km east. For €13 each we would travel 200 km on a smooth, high floor bus in front row seats. It was an enjoyable ride with interesting scenery, in contrast to the Algarve which had a lot of scrub land between towns and not much to look at. We saw lots of trees....olive, almond and cork....as well as vineyards and farmyards with sheep not cattle. Although there was partial sun at the coast, as soon as we turned north we were heading directly into black clouds and scattered showers. Three hours later we arrived in Evora. It was less than a km to our hotel so we lugged our suitcases down the cobble stoned street with difficulty. I have already lost the rubber on one of the wheels making it that much more difficult to pull. Cobble stones and wheeled luggage aren’t compatible!

    I had been making all our meals for the last two weeks in an attempt to compensate in a small way for the huge Air Portugal bill. I made a reservation at the highly rated, moderately priced restaurant in our hotel and was looking forward to a nice meal. I had forgotten that meat dominates Portuguese dining. So I ordered a vegetarian lasagna that surprisingly came with no noodles and no cheese, which made me wonder how they could call it lasagna. It was topped with curried almonds. I couldn’t eat it and was so disappointed. At least John enjoyed his regional pork dish.
    Read more