Satellite
  • Day 9

    Rivers, Coulees & Scrubland

    June 15, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Our route today was tricky to plan as there was no direct route through this part of the State of Washington. We were working with a new GPS and had to make a couple of stops just to make sure that we were taking the best route as we tried to avoid two mountain passes. Ninety percent of our route so far has been on two-lane highways and today was no different except for short stretches on interstates. The landscape was varied as we drove along the Columbia River, on the Coulee Corridor National Scenic Byway, past caves, lakes, dams and the Rattlesnake Hills (with rattlesnake warnings at the rest areas). The road was winding and rolling. It was hot and dry. This was our longest day of driving as it took us 10 hours to get to Oliver, BC , just 30 minutes from the US border.

    This was the first time that I have had a very bad experience at the Canadian border crossing. There was only one lane open and a semi truck in front of me. When the semi pulled away from the booth, I moved forward from the stop sign. As soon as I got to the booth I was greeted with, “DID I GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO COME HERE?” He was red faced and yelling at me. I told him I had stopped at the stop sign but apparently I “DIDN’T WAIT FOR THE GREEN LIGHT”. After 10 hours of driving, I honestly didn’t even see the red light. He kept reprimanding me and eventually yelled the routine questions. I was tempted to ask for his name and number but I knew that would just escalate things. He did mumble something about “guns in a vehicle” and “dangerous situation” so maybe something was happening at the border or he was just having a rough day or he hated his job. I would have preferred “Welcome home to Canada”!

    We ended our day in Oliver with the best Greek food that I have ever eaten. Service was slow and prices were higher than usual but sitting on the patio of the Savvios Family Restaurant with a glass of local wine was just what we needed.
    Read more