Satellite
  • Day 49

    Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary I

    February 25, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    I arranged another day trip so that I could see some of the Tas wildlife that I unfortunately haven’t seen in the wild. The company was Heart of Tasmania Tours, the only one that offers a shuttle. Again the cost was high....$35 for a 30 minute drive to the Sanctuary at the edge of town. There were other tours that took you to a historic village as well but they were twice the price. Public buses don’t go to this area so it was my only option. Admission was $31. The tour company allowed 90 minutes to view the animals and it was ample time.

    Bonorong is Tasmania’s largest 24 hour wildlife rescue service and has the first wildlife-only hospital. It is funded entirely by entry fees. Many of the animals are being raised for release but some would not survive on their own. They are also part of a “breed and release” program. Australia has one of the highest species extinction rates in the world. Knowing this took away some of the sting of the high entry fee! We were supposed to get a guided tour but all we got was a quick two minute introduction. There were staff available throughout the sanctuary, some more helpful than others. I didn’t go to the Sydney Zoo because the admission to it was $49 so I was glad that I got to see some of the animals unique to Australia.
    Read more