Satellite
  • Day 66

    Full circle to Kauai

    March 13, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Killed a cockroach on the kitchen counter this morning.....time to move! It was actually time to complete the circle and head back to Kauai where JS and I started our winter break 66 days ago. I was able to book a free flight using the HawaiianMiles I had earned going to AU/NZ. I was out of bed at 0615 in order to catch the only non-stop flight from Kona to Kauai as I wanted to avoid the crowds at Honolulu Airport.

    I had an issue with the credit card that I had used to book my car rental, my mistake, resulting in no insurance coverage. I had to take the car rental shuttle bus back to the airport so that I could make some frantic phone calls. I knew the airport had a pay phone and free wifi. About two hours later I had MPI rental car insurance and I was finally on my way. I made a stop at the grocery store and at Costco. Costco was pretty crazy as people are stocking up for the pandemic. There was a line-up of about 40 people waiting for toilet paper as a Costco employee handed out one package per customer.

    Poor timing as I got stuck in rush hour traffic, which is particularly bad through Kapaa. I finally arrived at my timeshare condo, the Cliffs at Princeville, at around 5 pm. I have been here twice before but the units have been updated since then and are very nice. Unfortunately, a cold front is heading toward the islands with heavy rain and flooding expected for the next few days.
    Read more