Satellite
  • Day 7

    Overnight stay.

    January 11, 2018 in India ⋅ 🌙 -3 °C

    The overnight stay was at an educational campsite. This campsite is used for tourists and school groups to share the local area and educate students on appropriate habits.

    The toilet block had a mixture of western and Indian toilets.

    The dorm rooms were like small jail cells.

    We had the option of sleeping on a mattress on the floor or using a bed frame with our mattress. I chose for the more authentic experience of sleeping on the floor! It wasn’t too bad, but having a flat pillow didn’t help my already sore neck and shoulders.

    Raj, the man who runs the campsite explained his reasoning for locking his dogs up. In India there is a large number of stray dogs and they wander around freely, the nature of the Indian people is that if I have too much I’ll give it to someone else who needs some. So it was strange to see these dogs in a cage. When we went on our walk around the local area Raj explained how farmers use dirty electricity to make electric fences around their crops, these fences are to stop the buffalo and antelope from eating their crops but have killed lions, leopards and people in the past, so it’s not safe for his dogs to be free, incase they chase something into this area and get killed.
    Read more