Satellite
  • Day 2

    Chinceros, Peru

    September 4, 2016 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    We had a busy day full of excursions today. We hired a driver to take us to Chinceros, Maras, and Moray of Sacred Valley before finally ending up in Ollantaytambo to take the Peru Rail to Machu Picchu Pueblo. Chinceros was a small church citadel and very serene since we went pretty early. There was not much to do here, but the church itself was beautiful.

    We then went to Maras, the salt mines, and it was seriously such a sight. You can walk to the nearest salt pools and actually see the salt formations. It's a gorgeous white and pink hue and there are several stalls selling salt you can bring back with you. Just watch out as security in Mexico gave me a hard time about the salt I brought back...

    Moray is home of the famous agricultural terraces and the temperature fluctuates as you from high to low to high elevation. While you cannot go into the middle of the terraces, you can walk around and see the ruins. It is pretty damaged though from rainfall and we went when there were any greenery. It was very nice though, but windy af.

    We finally ended in Ollantaytambo and briefly checked out the Ollantaytambo Ruins before we took the train to Aguas Calientes, the city closest to Machu Picchu. We have MP tomorrow!
    Read more