Satellite
  • Day 5

    Rainbow Mountain, Peru

    September 7, 2016 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 4 °C

    Another all day excursion that began pretty early with a couple hours drive south to where we eventually end up to hike Rainbow Mountain. It was a small group of us, probably no more than 8, and we had a ton of fun seeing the gorgeous gradients of the 7-colored mountain.

    Raul, our tour guide, was so great and he made sure we all felt comfortable and well taken care as we were ascending up high altitudes. Today was the first day I really felt the altitude hitting me. I had a throbbing headache and I felt like my head was under pressure the entire time we were hiking. Coca and chlorophyll really helped me and I made sure to stay super hydrated. We had lunch towards the end of our hike before hiking up one mountain peak. It was pretty damn high and I was scared as af to climb down. Hint: don't think too much and just walk normally!

    This was such a treat and cost us like what $40 to do? I don't remember, but it was a steal compared to the $100 plus tour packages English companies will charge you. i would say this was more majestic that Machu Picchu. I was pretty worried about this hike since it was a much higher altitude and we had heard another couple talking about Rainbow Mountain and how tired they were and had to hire horses to help them finish the course. We took a few stops, but made it all the way! We also did not even have the option to hire horses, but we had a woman who did not finish the hike and chilled midway until the group finished and picked her up along the way back to the van.

    Super exhausted, but so so so worth it!
    Read more