Satellite
  • Day 17

    Kaikoura to Hokitika

    November 7, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 8 °C

    Monday 7th November
    Daily Mileage 380
    Cumulative Mileage 1,771
    Today was the longest drive of the holiday from Kaikoura to Hokitika via the Lewis Pass. The Lewis Pass was beautiful but unfortunately there were very few places to stop and many of the ones there were had the view obscured by big trees. It was unlike Canada where every scenic route had lots of parking bays both side of the road and we were able to get great photos. We did several tea and loo stops on the way to break the journey, arriving at Hokitika at 3.30pm. We are staying at Bella Vista Motel tonight. We had trouble finding somewhere to stay in the area that we all liked and this motel seemed about the best we could find. However when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised, the rooms are spacious with a kitchenette and perfectly adequate and clean bathroom. We just had time to walk into town to look around. Paua shell jewellery is everywhere but I found some that I thought was particularly nice and purchased some matching earrings, necklace and ring. It was starting to rain so we ducked into a café for a meal. Unfortunately, by the time we finished it was raining hard and just-in-case Janet had failed to pack her umbrella in her backpack so we ribbed her about that for a bit.

    Sorry no photos today bit of a boring day, just driving.
    Read more