Satellite
  • Day 24

    Rogue River - Day One

    July 31, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    So we headed over to the rafting office and got there right on time. We met a nice family from Reno right off the bat and they gave us good packing advice.

    After a briefing section we packed up our stuff in dry-bags and took a shuttle to the river.

    I wadi. An inflatable kayak and the kids were in a bigger raft - but they still had to row.

    NOTE: From here on our there aren't many pictures at all. I had to keep my phone in a dry bag on the raft and it just seemed easier to enjoy the trip than snap pictures! I'm hopeful the company will forward videos and pics I can add to this later.

    Anyway, the first day was great! There were plenty of interesting class III rapids and the kids seemed very pleased. We could jump into the river often and float beside our boats on the flat stretches. That was a great way to cool off.

    We had a nice lunch and got to know the other folks on the trip. There were about twenty customers and six guides. Most of the guides were teachers and did this for extra summer income. They were very professional and took our safety seriously!

    By 3:30 or so we made it to our first lodge to spend the night. Highlights included:

    - The tame, friendly deer
    - Playing "The Resistance" card game with three teen siblings and two guides, Lax and Jasmine. Lots of laughs.
    - Bats flying around in the main lodge because they were fixing the roof and had holes temporarily.
    - The lights going out at 10 b/c the generator was turned off - dark!
    Read more