Satellite
  • Day 14

    Sandgate Foreshore

    September 18, 2017 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    This morning was birthday present hunting, morning coffee out and driving lessons in an automatic car around the entertainment centre car park - Trev and I seem to be the oldest there! This car park is used regularly, as it is never too busy, there is a complex of roads that are all one way, with junctions, stop signs, roundabouts and parking places, so it is a good starter place for youngsters to learn the basics of the car with their parents without causing too much stress. We were told by Clare that one of us had to drive the car or we would not get lunch! As it was both of us drove the car - Clare just has to work on Sarah. The only thing we seemed to have difficulty with was signalling - we tended to put the windscreen wipers on instead as the indicators and wiper switches are round the other way - so washing the windscreen to turn left!!
    After lunch we sorted out a trip to Sydney to see my aunt Gwyneth & uncle Graham (Dad's brother and his wife). Gwyneth is the spit image of Hi-de-Hi's, Gladys Pugh - very welsh and similar in looks as well - Graham is quieter, probably because he can't get a word in 'edge ways'; though he does have a very wry sense of humour!
    We took a drive a long to Shorecliff hoping to have afternoon tea at the cafe there, but it was just closing so we settled for afternoon tea/ coffee and cake at The Coffee Club in Sandgate - I am getting used to this relaxed way of living - then we took a walk along the foreshore to dispel the extra calories.
    This evening we have been listening to the geckos outside who 'click' to communicate with each other. We also watched the bats at twilight flying from their roost near the creak over to Moreton island to feed - when I say bats, these are not like the little Pippistrels we have at home these are large proper 'flying fox' / Batman symbol bats. The show lasts for a good 30 minutes each evening and if you are lucky enough they will stop to feed on a fruit tree near you on their way out. Finally, I have been fast enough to 'snap' the bats at roost in a tree near the house (though a picture of bats roosting during the day - hopefully shows how big these bats are)!!
    Read more