Satellite
  • Day 20

    Redcliffe

    September 24, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    This morning, after breakfast, we decided to head to Redcliffe vIa the Hornbrook Highway one of the longest bridges in the southern hemisphere with motorists travelling suspended over water for 2.64 km. You can see pelicans perched precariously on the top of the lamp posts along the highway, even though the council has put preventative measure in place, spikes on top of the lamps! Last time we were here we saw the pelicans being fed which is done every morning at 10 am allowing people to check the population, check for injured bird etc. Today we headed to the Jetty Market which stretches along the Redcliffe foreshore selling foods, clothes, natural medicinal items and all sorts of other curios! to get there Ken and Clare took us through Bee Gees Way a tribute to Redcliffe’s world-famous pop group – the Bee Gees!!
    In the late 1950s, three young brothers living on the Redcliffe Peninsula gathered around a microphone and for the first time performed using a name now famous around the globe.
    Bee Gees way is a multi-media celebration of the Gibb brothers' phenomenal career and their links to Redcliffe. Free and open every day and night, Bee Gees Way has been developed in conjunction with Barry Gibb.
    The market was colourful and noisy with a Jamaiican band playing and various stall holder calling - however it was really pleasant near the Jetty as there was a lovely offshore breeze coming in. Before we headed back I noticed a piece of sculpture, machinery or 'thingamy'? What was it? What did it do? Well the plaque said it was The Apparatus For Non Destructive Biological Visualization. one of a collection of inventions by Franz Andriessen which was to be brought to Australia but was lost in mysterious circumstances in 1920 and this was the only thing recovered - you can see an image of the last thing captured - a mermaid! Tall tales come to mind!!
    Read more