Satellite
  • Day 43

    Whangarei Falls, North Island

    October 17, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    We're unfortunately heading back to Auckland. The Bay of Islands is a friendly, beautiful area - we loved our stay - Everything about the stay was a highlight. A long drive back but we broke it up into three sections. A brief stop about an hour out from Paihia, was at Whangarei Falls. We stayed at the top of the falls rather than head down the walkway to the bottom - the guide book said it would take 5 minutes - down probably, up not sure!! It was worth the stop, smaller than some but still lovely. Our next stop was the same area we stopped on the way down - Kaiwaka. A little bakery on the main highway, Last Nonna Italian Bakery - all breads and pastries are baked fresh each day. Going down we had filled Foccacia breads - one marinated Lamb and the other chicken with avo. We liked it so much that we kept an eye out on the way back - this time we had egg, bacon and salad filled mixed grain naps - both meals were lovely! We finally arrived back in Auckland, over the harbour bridge which gave amazing views!
    Again we have a lovely suite in Auckland and I think the best thing is the view from the harbour bridge - the tower looks good but not sure I could make it up there!
    Read more