Satellite
  • Day 46

    Rotorua, North Island

    October 20, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Clothes washing and wandering in 30 minute stints - It was a pity I didn't bring my swimsuit as the hotel had hot mineral springs! Coffee at The Terrace cafe, near the lake shore and back there later for lunch - lovely food all cooked or made fresh, they even have their own raised beds for herbs and salads! We explored the Government Gardens in the afternoon before packing and getting ready for the Maori cultural evening and meal. We were collected from our hotel and taken to Te Puia, set in a thermal reserve 3 km south of the city and features more than 500 hot springs the most famous is Pohutu. Pōhutu (‘poor-hoo-too’) is the largest active geyser in the southern hemisphere. She erupts once or twice every hour and sometimes reaches heights of 30 metres (100 feet). Pōhutu means ‘constant splashing’ in Māori.
    Te Tohu geyser was also named ‘Prince of Wales Feathers’ geyser in 1901, in honour of a British royal visit to Whakarewarewa. The royal guests noticed a resemblance between Te Tohu’s plume and the feathers on the coat of arms of the Prince of Wales. Te Tohu is called an ‘indicator’ geyser – it usually erupts just before Pōhutu, its neighbour. Te Tohu first sprang to life in 1886 following the eruption of Mount Tarawera. It has played almost continuously since 1992 – erupting to heights of up to 7 metres (21 feet).
    We were able to see some of the steam valley from the top while it was light and we were waiting for the evening to begin. The cultural experience included a welcome and peace offering; a chosen chief from the group had to pick it up then we entered the meeting house speeches of welcome were done and then a show was performed by the family who run the event and are ancestors of the Maori people who settled here. The guys were invited to have a go at a Haka and the ladies a traditional Poi dance. We were then invited to the dining room for a meal where the chicken, sweet potato and other foods were cooked in the traditional Maori way in a deep hot stone oven. The Hangi prepared meals are accompanied by flavoured meats, chicken, lamb, vegetables and salads. After the meal we were driven down to the steam valley to sit on hot stones, sipping Hot chocolate and waiting for Pohotu to perform and see the stars - however mother nature would not cooperate only the smaller geyser was seen and it was cloudy so no stars!!
    Read more