Satellite
  • Day 32

    Tiwanaku Tour

    October 31, 2017 in Bolivia ⋅ 🌙 9 °C

    Today, we had booked a tour of Tiwanaku area. Tiwanaku (also written as Tiahuanaco or Tiahuanacu) is a Pre-Columbian archaeological site in western Bolivia. The culture was flourishing around 1000 BC to 700 AD. It seemed to be the most regarded civilization before the Incas. Most probably, the inhabitants of the Uros floating islands in the lake Titicaca are the direct descendents of these people. The Aymaras used to form the lower strata of the society under these people.
    The name by which Tiwanaku was known to its inhabitants may have been lost as they had no written language. The ancient inhabitants of Tiwanaku are believed to have spoken the Puquina language.

    As planned, we were ready in the morning at 8 am and carried our bags over to the Plaza Murillo where we were supposed to be picked up at 8:30 am. The trip cost had been 210 b$ per person and included the 100 b$ charge for the foreign tourists and 35 b$ for the breakfast. We didn't plan to return to La Paz amd instead had planned to take a bus to Copacabana on the way back, so we even had our big bags with us.
    The road was in pretty good condition with not much ascent or descent. Tiwanaku is at 3870 mts above sea level. We reached there around 11 am and visited the museum 1st.
    The museum had all the artifacts that have been found in that area but no photos are allowed inside.
    Read more